[Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote:
brunoais wrote:IMO we should do most of those! but server-side and only on compile time.
I was thinking the other day... isn't there any server-side way to dynamically combine all the required .css files into one file and then serve it?
yeah..no! That's what phpBB 3.0 did, and it was bad, and thankfully removed from 3.1.

CSS/JS should be served up as-is, already minified/concatenated, right form the server.

How it gets minified/concatenated will up to the developers.
Has an irascible disposition.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

Post by callumacrae »

Louis7777 wrote:
brunoais wrote:IMO we should do most of those! but server-side and only on compile time.
I was thinking the other day... isn't there any server-side way to dynamically combine all the required .css files into one file and then serve it?
There are libraries like assetic, but they're pretty terrible.

I've said it many times before, I'll say it again: I've never used a front-end tool written by a backend developer and liked it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog