[Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

Post by hanakin »

callumacrae wrote:Will this be implemented before or after HTTP2 is released?
No real rush cn wait until its out probably if it meets its deadline
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.

Post by hanakin »

brunoais wrote:@callumacrae How would we execute gulp? Any suggestions?
I do not think they are referring to executing it via phpbb, but rather building with it and distributing a minified version with phpbb as well as a separate version that is unminified/compress/linted etc. for style authors to work with themselves.

This is actually how it should be handled rather than attempting to have the core do it. Although if we can find an efficient and unintrusive way to allow phpbb to accomplish I am not against hearing on it.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm not keen for that. Although quite do-able. I'd rather have it such that I can just change a file and it does all that needs to be done to work the the same efficiency as if I didn't do anything (except for the parts I changed)

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

hanakin wrote:
Do you know what HTTP2 is and why I asked the question? :-)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

callumacrae wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Do you know what HTTP2 is and why I asked the question? :-)
I am not fully in the know. I just know what I read when I googled it based on your post. Seems like better resource management is going into it?

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

brunoais wrote:I'm not keen for that. Although quite do-able. I'd rather have it such that I can just change a file and it does all that needs to be done to work the the same efficiency as if I didn't do anything (except for the parts I changed)
That is totally do-able, provided gulp/grunt is set up well and integrated well into phpBB's build system, and if some git-tools or developer scripts are created to run gulp/grunt (sort of like is already done with the schema json file for phpBB schema changes).
Has an irascible disposition.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

How would we run the js? Is there a js engine written in php? Is there a version of those in php?

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

brunoais wrote:How would we run the js? Is there a js engine written in php? Is there a version of those in php?
Although it is JS, none of this is done in a browser. It's all command-line-interface. A git-hook, such as the pre-commit hook, which is nothing but a shell script, can be used to automatically run a grunt or gulp file or command on every commit. Or a PHP script can be written and added to the developer folder that will trigger it via shell script too. Or phpBB's new console app can be used. Or it can be left until the package build process, where it would be run somewhere in the build script. There are many ways that it can be automated into the phpBB development workflow.
Has an irascible disposition.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

VSE I believe he is thinking referring to non-development workflow for style authors that are not working off the repo

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

It's as hanakin says. No git involved and oyu may not use the system() (or equivalent) function of php.