3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Louis7777 »

PayBas wrote: I tend to agree. Facebook is not the holy grail, and I personally don't think their notifications are ideal. Especially not for phpBB.
Thing is that Facebook has over 1 billion of monthly active users who have got used to reading notifications the way Facebook does it, and Facebook aims to satisfy all these users that live across the planet and that have different taste and intelligence. Which means that the majority of phpBB 3.1 users won't have any problem to read the notifications if you improve the styling a bit and make it look as good as Facebook's.

So we have a recipe that works.
hanakin wrote:as request mockup of my version with Prosilver look to it.
notification-mocup.png
I guess I could get used to seeing the avatars on the right, but looking for information both left and right of an image kinda disturbs me in this case.

User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote: Thing is that Facebook has over 1 billion of monthly active users who have got used to reading notifications the way Facebook does it, and Facebook aims to satisfy all these users that live across the planet and that have different taste and intelligence. Which means that the majority of phpBB 3.1 users won't have any problem to read the notifications if you improve the styling a bit and make it look as good as Facebook's.

So we have a recipe that works.
They also have several different interfaces for their site so those umbers are not accurate. I personally never visit the site on my computer. Not to mention facebook is loosing popularity based on their interface at the moment.
Louis7777 wrote:
hanakin wrote:as request mockup of my version with Prosilver look to it.
notification-mocup.png
I guess I could get used to seeing the avatars on the right, but looking for information both left and right of an image kinda disturbs me in this case.
Don;t read the right side personally I do not care who and when as thats secondary information just where and what
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: They also have several different interfaces for their site so those umbers are not accurate. I personally never visit the site on my computer. Not to mention facebook is loosing popularity based on their interface at the moment.
If Facebook is loosing popularity, that is certainly not because of their website's interface.

And by several interfaces do you mean the different mobile looks such as fcb for Android and iPhone? The text for the notifications is the same everywhere. And even if - let's say - only the 500 millions are also desktop users, that is a huge number of people who are used to read notifications that way.
hanakin wrote:Don;t read the right side personally I do not care who and when as thats secondary information just where and what
I thought that the notifications feature was a social feature?

User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:
hanakin wrote:Don;t read the right side personally I do not care who and when as thats secondary information just where and what
I thought that the notifications feature was a social feature?
Thats news to me /i view it more as a notification area which by definition just lets you know what has happend since you last logged out. I would not even a lot clicking the individual pieces of it but rather just link the whole row directly to the event
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

User avatar
Sumanai
Registered User
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Sumanai »

Louis7777 wrote:And even if - let's say - only the 500 millions are also desktop users, that is a huge number of people who are used to read notifications that way.
Users of social networks and forums are somewhat different.
Sorry for my English.

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Louis7777 wrote:
PayBas wrote: I tend to agree. Facebook is not the holy grail, and I personally don't think their notifications are ideal. Especially not for phpBB.
Thing is that Facebook has over 1 billion of monthly active users who have got used to reading notifications the way Facebook does it...
Just because facebook is popular doesn't mean we have to copy it. It doesn't matter what FB users are used to, phpbBB isn't FB nor should it become FB.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Louis7777 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Louis7777 wrote: Thing is that Facebook has over 1 billion of monthly active users who have got used to reading notifications the way Facebook does it...
Just because facebook is popular doesn't mean we have to copy it. It doesn't matter what FB users are used to, phpbBB isn't FB nor should it become FB.
No, we don't have to copy it just because it is popular. We should copy it because its user base encapsulates that of phpBB. Which means that if you are a member of a phpBB forum or if you own one, chances are that you are also using Facebook and you are familiar with their notifications system. After all, it was Facebook that made notifications popular.

And in case you haven't noticed it, WE ARE copying it: "A new notifications system, similar to those found on Facebook or Google..." (from https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2233216).

Copying is awesome and copying is guaranteed success. And no one said that we should copy the entire Facebook, but since we've already adopted a feature, why shouldn't we use their entire working recipe? There's even a really big MOD for phpBB 3.0 called "phpBB Social Network" that tries to copy all that Facebook has, even the comet chat, so copying a feature is not a sin.

Like I've said before, I think that we should just improve the current styling but... if I had to settle with a new look, I think that PayBas's looks fine.

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I'll still want to turn it off. :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:No, we don't have to copy it just because it is popular. We should copy it because its user base encapsulates that of phpBB. Which means that if you are a member of a phpBB forum or if you own one, chances are that you are also using Facebook and you are familiar with their notifications system. After all, it was Facebook that made notifications popular.
I'll agree with most of that reasoning except where you say that Facebook's user base "encapsulates" phpBB. While it's possible that's true for a majority of cases (or maybe not), it is certainly not true in all cases. I don't have a Facebook account and don't plan to get one. (I also don't have a Twitter account.)

It's not that I'm opposed to social media in general (I have a LinkedIn account); I just don't see the need to follow anybody that closely. It's the same reason that I don't watch shows like "Hollywood Tonight" or "The Real Housewives" -- who cares?

Of course that doesn't mean that those sites can't produce some interesting user interface concepts, like Notifications.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
Darkness_demoN
Registered User
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Darkness_demoN »

hanakin wrote:as request mockup of my version with Prosilver look to it.

Image
I like this ! +1
Please add it in this variant ( may be with less brighter colors i mean for that green color on Approved, Replied and etc.) bit still. Dont change it. This give you all the infromation that you need.

Please stop with that facebook. We have that notification system in facebook because some guy without any feelig for design made it and we cant change anything. And facebook is popular not because have a good design, its popular because it give you information, connect people and their lives, making one big matrix and also give you funny pictures of animals ^^

I updating old post because i dont wana spam posts that are not relied in to the theme:
hanakin wrote:
Darkness_demoN wrote: Please stop with that facebook. We have that notification system in facebook because some guy without any feelig for design made it and we cant change anything. And facebook is popular not because have a good design, its popular because it give you information, connect people and their lives, making one big matrix and also give you funny pictures of animals ^^
Not true their design changes were made to firstly reduce the amount of the codebase to be more OOCSS and then enhanced from their. It was not a design decision.
Yes you are right.
Last edited by Darkness_demoN on Thu May 29, 2014 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply