Prosilver redesign

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Prosilver redesign

Post by MattF »

One problem with using booststrap is their updates can often cause major re-design woes. With as many templates as phpBB uses, I can see bootstrap updates causing massive headaches, and that will probably mean we won't update our bootstrap often, which means it could still be using bootstrap 3.1 when version 8 is out, years down the road :roll:
Has an irascible disposition.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I purchased a bootstap theme for phpBB 3.0.12. It felt sluggish to me, like it slowed the forum down. Which somebody else also mentioned same thing before in this topic I think.

Alexandre T

Post by Alexandre T »

Thanks for your comments.

keith10456 > the link is down because my contrib isn't validated. First time, i submitted it under MIT License. I switched it under GPLv2 to be compliant with phpBB License.
Dragosvr92 > I understood ;) . I have to update these button and add an no-wrap option on the below listing, too.
VSE wrote:One problem with using booststrap is their updates can often cause major re-design woes. With as many templates as phpBB uses, I can see bootstrap updates causing massive headaches, and that will probably mean we won't update our bootstrap often, which means it could still be using bootstrap 3.1 when version 8 is out, years down the road :roll:
Yes, i think so. But there are difference between Major and Minor updates. I agree Major Bootstrap updates can cause redesign. During my dev, Bootstrap move from 2.3 to 3.0. But minor updates (3.0.x to 3.0.y) during my development add only some minor features. I understand that you'd rather use your own style.

Octopus2

Post by Octopus2 »

I do not understand why there is a orange icon for unread posts since Version 3.x.
orange icon.jpg
orange icon.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 15435 times
This bites with the blue and red that is used in prosilver. I think it would be very good to recolor the symbol (as in the new "Quick links" for example)...

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

its not unread its targeted at the latests post.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

hanakin wrote:its not unread its targeted at the latests post.
The popup says 'view first unread post.' It doesn't exist if there's no unread posts in that particular topic. I'm not 100% sure what he was referring to though (I'm guessing the little orange icon paper thing)? :?

Octopus2

Post by Octopus2 »

Yes, I´m talking about the color of the orange paper icon...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

What do you suggest? This has been the same since...forever? The idea is for it to stand out so what other color will do that? Red?

Octopus2

Post by Octopus2 »

Perhaps this color? (Sorry, I´m no designer)
alternative orange icon.jpg
alternative orange icon.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 15339 times

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

Octopus2 wrote:Perhaps this color? (Sorry, I´m no designer)
alternative orange icon.jpg
eh, I think you've just made it worse. In a way I think it's fine the way it is. To be fair though, the button is easily missed so I think it could be improved by making it clear what it is (and maybe moving it to the right hand side). Put a little block text saying; 'Unread Posts' and then link to it as normal.