The right to be forgotten

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Tomba

The right to be forgotten

Post by Tomba »

In light of recent developments in the European Union that is moving towards a new privacy protection law, I presume many forum owners will one day face the need to comply with these regulations. The law is still being discussed and lobbied, but it looks like that it will be required to remove all data that can link a user to its posts.

I know there is currently the possibility to remove a user and his posts entirely, but more often than not, posts will want to be retained.
One thing though that when a user requests to be forgotten, it should be possible that all userdata is removed, as well as all IP information. I think it would be allowed to keep the username, but all other profile data should be deleted, along with all IP information of the posts made by this account.

I am unaware of this being possible with current phpBB versions, and I'm wondering if that is something that can be considered.

As said, one way or another it will end up as a law in Europe, meaning that any site hosted in Europe must comply, as well as other websites where a European inhabitant requests such a removal.

Master_Cylinder

Re: The right to be forgotten

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Tomba wrote:In light of recent developments in the European Union that is moving towards a new privacy protection law, I presume many forum owners will one day face the need to comply with these regulations. The law is still being discussed and lobbied, but it looks like that it will be required to remove all data that can link a user to its posts.

I know there is currently the possibility to remove a user and his posts entirely, but more often than not, posts will want to be retained.
One thing though that when a user requests to be forgotten, it should be possible that all userdata is removed, as well as all IP information. I think it would be allowed to keep the username, but all other profile data should be deleted, along with all IP information of the posts made by this account.

I am unaware of this being possible with current phpBB versions, and I'm wondering if that is something that can be considered.

As said, one way or another it will end up as a law in Europe, meaning that any site hosted in Europe must comply, as well as other websites where a European inhabitant requests such a removal.
Virtually anything can be considered and similar ideas are being presented in the ideas part of the community site.

What really links a user to the posts? Usernames are usually not real names. Very few people post personal info other than city/state/country. Some will include email addresses or IM IDs but those profile fields can be edited by an admin now, including the username. IP addresses are often shared and do not identify anyone publicly, only the admin/moderators have access to IP info. It'd be helpful to know exactly what it takes to satisfy the EU overlords but I haven't seen anything concrete yet. Have you?

The last part (bolded by me) is what concerns me and I don't care what laws the EU passes; I'll not comply, here in the USA, even if a European requests removal. I'd blacklist the entire EU before I'd comply with such nonsense. Hopefully you mean "other European websites" because the EU has no say outside of the EU, thank God.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Re: The right to be forgotten

Post by Pony99CA »

Tomba wrote:In light of recent developments in the European Union that is moving towards a new privacy protection law, I presume many forum owners will one day face the need to comply with these regulations. The law is still being discussed and lobbied, but it looks like that it will be required to remove all data that can link a user to its posts.

You might want to read the User Self Delete RFC.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.