Event requests checked by QA teams

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Danielx64

Event requests checked by QA teams

Post by Danielx64 »

Hi everyone,

In light of the fact that when a event request have been made, it needs to be checked by someone who is not the requester or the implementer
Review Process:
After being posted it will be reviewed to check it would work ok and then someone will either implement it for you or you can submit a patch for it.

The patch will then be reviewed by someone who cannot be the original suggester or implementer. It will then be merged by a developer.
I was just thinking that it would be good if we had a team that would take care of that along with a team leader. IMO one could consider this quality control. By doing this, it would also mean that if there is any dispute about something then there is a formal process that someone can follow to sort the matter out. Much like if you had an issue with a moderator, you can speak to the team leader.

Also if the requester happen to be in the QA team then the team leader will need to give the green lights.

Also if it can be done, have the requester provide an extension that will make use of the event so that it can be tested fully.

What do you think?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Event requests checked by QA teams

Post by nickvergessen »

This is just what we do with all other patches aswell, one user implements another user which is a developer merges.
We do not need an additional team here.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

nickvergessen wrote:This is just what we do with all other patches aswell, one user implements another user which is a developer merges.
It's not about creating a new team - we already got one, it's about defining who will be reviewing the events and how people can appeal if they are not happy. Right now it doesn't sound too clear as to who will be doing the reviewing (I'm talking about the average person who writing an extension and just put a request in not being fully aware of what happens behind the scene).

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Development team members review every pull request and decide whether or not to merge them. Anyone may discuss in the PR. I don't see a need to make any changes.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

*Daniel wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:This is just what we do with all other patches aswell, one user implements another user which is a developer merges.
It's not about creating a new team - we already got one, it's about defining who will be reviewing the events and how people can appeal if they are not happy. Right now it doesn't sound too clear as to who will be doing the reviewing (I'm talking about the average person who writing an extension and just put a request in not being fully aware of what happens behind the scene).
The development team do it. Originally the plan was to have one or two main 'event reviewers', namely myself and Joas, but now it's just done by the development team with anyone else's input that would like to input.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.