PHPBB4 died?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
wGEric

Re: PHPBB4 died?

Post by wGEric »

Mess wrote:Why spend your free time on a project where very few seem to understand or appreciates your efforts...
Most people don't follow development so releases are how they determine how much effort has been put in the product.
EXreaction wrote:Both of you are correct, 3.1 is taking significantly longer than it should have, but also, we simply do not have the resources on the development team necessary for significantly faster development. There are currently very few developers on the team and all of us are extremely busy with everything we have going on--school, work, life in general. phpBB is something we enjoy working on in the time we have, but it doesn't pay our bills or help us get good grades. We realize there are issues with the release cycle we've had and we're working on changing that, however we still have our limitations of being a volunteer organization--especially so since we're distributed around the world and can't physically work together on problems.
This has been a problem for over 10 years for every major release. I don't see phpBB solving this problem since they haven't so far. I just don't get the feeling that there is any passion behind the project any more.
Eric

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

This has been a problem for over 10 years for every major release. I don't see phpBB solving this problem since they haven't so far. I just don't get the feeling that there is any passion behind the project any more.
Man, that is not a question of what phpbb is (it has been mostly the same thing for many years), it is a question of your attitude. Maybe it would help you deal with it if you would stop expecting phpbb being something it is not? =)

You might as well diss wikipedia for not having an article on the topic you need. It would have been just as sensible and as reasonable as what you are currently doing in this thread.

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

BioLogIn wrote:Man, that is not a question of what phpbb is (it has been mostly the same thing for many years), it is a question of your attitude. Maybe it would help you deal with it if you would stop expecting phpbb being something it is not? =)
I have accepted that phpBB is in decline and probably will be dead in 5 years. I'm angry and sad because I spent many years on the phpBB Teams. I don't want to see phpBB die. That is why I have a negative attitude.

While on the team I never solved this issue either so I am part of the blame. Now that I am on the outside I realize it is a much bigger issue than I had previously thought.
Eric

Mess

Post by Mess »

wGEric wrote:I have accepted that phpBB is in decline and probably will be dead in 5 years.

Flamebait..

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Mess wrote:
wGEric wrote:I have accepted that phpBB is in decline and probably will be dead in 5 years.

Flamebait..
Please lets not let this topic degrade to these sort of accusations and name calling. Everyone has a right to their own opinion even when others don't agree with it. I advise everyone to keep to opinions and avoid name calling. Please keep in mind the rules, especially: https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#respectful-posting

bonelifer (William),
Moderator Team Member
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

EXreaction wrote:Both of you are correct, 3.1 is taking significantly longer than it should have, but also, we simply do not have the resources on the development team necessary for significantly faster development. There are currently very few developers on the team and all of us are extremely busy with everything we have going on--school, work, life in general. phpBB is something we enjoy working on in the time we have, but it doesn't pay our bills or help us get good grades. We realize there are issues with the release cycle we've had and we're working on changing that, however we still have our limitations of being a volunteer organization--especially so since we're distributed around the world and can't physically work together on problems.
So, revenue generated by Forumatic, the hosting company owned by the Project Manager and the Development Leader of phpBB, has not be put toward the phpBB community via full time developers, events and other productive endeavors, backing up the team and improving development time? Yet this is what was announced to prevent this exact issue. And since nearly two years of broken promises, they continue to benefit from free advertising, to make money, while in the meantime the phpBB project dies. Nice management.

I'm also a former team member and, like wGEric, I spent (and I always do as translator) many years as contributor. And I am also saddened to see what becomes the project. As long as things do not evolve, in the current state of things, the project does not attract new developers, or not enough to replace leaving team members. It only survives because the open source forum softwares are (almost) nonexistent. Just because of that.

I also feel there is no more passion behind this project. But I would still like to thank the current contributors, for their work and especially their courage, because I know they only do that for the love of the software and for the users. Although I think it is only delaying the inevitable.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

While I appreciate the concern and passion demonstrated by some of those who have replied here, the response remains the same: we have limited resources available to do a great amount of work. Those of you who wish to speed along phpBB development should contribute to the project, either by writing code or by taking on other tasks that would free up time spent by others on those tasks. phpBB team members volunteer incredible amounts of time and effort to keep the project moving forward, and I hope everyone remembers that.

In terms of specific internal policies, the project has both a Management Team and the overall phpBB Team to implement and oversee operations. If you have specific concerns or recommendations, you are welcome to reach out to me or a Team Leader of the relevant team.

I do not, however, believe that it is beneficial to keep a topic open about the so-called "inevitable fate" that certain members of the community apparently perceive. Either contribute to the well being of the project, or please find something else to do with your time. No further negativity is required nor requested.