Mods vs Styles

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Master_Cylinder

Mods vs Styles

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I tried to search but I didn't notice any good hits and this may have been brought up many times before so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse but...

Is there any way to make the mods and styles more independent so one doesn't break the other?

Some mods rely on a certain style (prosilver usually) and if you change styles the mods don't work or may not install. It would seem that there should be a way to install mods (any mod) and then be able to change styles without breaking things. Perhaps by having the different styles (or mods) call a mod (or style) directory instead of having to write directly to style php or css files? I'm not a programmer nor a web designer so perhaps I'm just imagining an animal that can't exist but it would be nice to be able to easily use any style with any mod.

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: Mods vs Styles

Post by Arty »

That's what extensions system in 3.1 is for.

There will still be conflicts between mods and styles because style authors can modify any part of style and there are 2 base styles, but it solves problem of having to edit templates.

Master_Cylinder

Nice, I look forward to that update. At least there will be fewer issues with mods/styles... ;)

Thanks for the info!
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Master_Cylinder

Will that also help with issues related to languages? I just fixed a mod install problem stemming from using US English.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

In 3.1 we fall back to english when the file is missing (at least if i remember that one correctly)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM