3.1 feature freeze

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

3.1 feature freeze

Post by Oleg »

In order to finish 3.1, the 3.1 branch is entering a feature freeze period starting now.

This means that pull requests for any ticket whose type is "new feature" will from now on require explicit 3.1 release manager approval. Pull requests for tickets whose type is "bug" or "task" can still be merged. 3.1 release manager can veto pull requests that add new features regardless of the associated ticket type.

3.1 feature freeze will last until 3.1 final is released. At that time minor features will be again accepted into 3.1, with major features going into 3.2.

We can branch develop-ascraeus off develop either now or when there is a feature ready to be merged, with my preference obviously being to delay the branching to ship 3.1 sooner.

Everyone is asked to fix outstanding 3.1 bugs, preferably with blocker/major severity. A GSoC project to fix 3.1 bugs has been added to the ideas page (https://wiki.phpbb.com/GSoC/2013/Ideas#phpBB_3.1).

We will release 3.1 alpha 1 when all 3.1 blocker bugs are fixed.

dhruv.goel92

Re: 3.1 feature freeze

Post by dhruv.goel92 »

Oleg wrote: 3.1 feature freeze will last until 3.1 final is released. At that time minor features will be again accepted into 3.1, with major features going into 3.2.
Sounds good. We will obviously have to branch off develop-ascraeus, though I will be fine with delaying it until a new feature is ready to be merged.
Oleg wrote: A GSoC project to fix 3.1 bugs has been added to the ideas page (https://wiki.phpbb.com/GSoC/2013/Ideas#phpBB_3.1).
We will release 3.1 alpha 1 when all 3.1 blocker bugs are fixed.
Putting this as a GSoC Project is a great idea, will definitely help in releasing 3.1 soon. From what I see majority of the GSoC Projects would be going into 3.2?
I would be interested in taking up this project throughout my summer and giving out more time to phpBB and most importantly helping out release 3.1 :)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I guess we can hold off on branching develop-ascraeus off until there is something we want to merge into develop but don't want to merge into 3.1.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

gsoc idea for 3.1 has been greatly expanded.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

remove this one from announcements, please?