A member's profile url should be the username

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

Re: A member's profile url should be the username

Post by Oleg »

This should go into a pretty url/seo extension.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

imkingdavid wrote: Granted, this is not the link generated by default, but moving to something closer to what the OP wants will have to wait until the main files are converted to the controller/routing system and the paths issue is worked out. Once that is done, I'd go for a url like ./user/username. This would make usernames like viewtopic.php no longer an issue.
+1 to waiting for restful api via control/route
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Oleg wrote:This should go into a pretty url/seo extension.
+1

Doesn't need to be part of core.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Oleg wrote:This should go into a pretty url/seo extension.
It more like has to go into such an extension. The idea presented here doesn't work without URL rewriting, which would be something such an extension would be doing. Can't imagine one would rewrite JUST user profile URLs so I agree with you fully.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Why in hell would someone "reserve" themselves a bunch of usernames ? Theres no advantage in it.
One changes their user only if they really must.
I guess you're not familiar with a Denial of Service attack, eh? A ticked off user could write a script to grab lots of names with just one registration. This would make it harder for new users to register, possibly even discouraging them enough to go elsewhere.

Yes, somebody could do that today, but they'd have to register once for every name that they wanted (and solve the registration CAPTCHA).

Instead of limiting the total number of user name changes, a better system might be a flood control on user name changes. If I can only change my name once a month (for example), I wouldn't be able to grab too many at a time.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yes, the flood limit would also a great idea. But the limit would still be fine.
If they changed their user 5 times in 5 months, and thats the limit, it should override the flood and disallow them from changing it again.
Previous user: TheKiller

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

nickvergessen wrote:
keith10456 wrote:The stated "problem" by Nick can be avoided by blocking certain usernames.
Well users that do already exist would have to be renamed?

But however, as IKD said, this should be really easy with 3.1
Good point... On both statements :-)

Jessica. wrote:What if you linked to a user's profile and later that user changes his/her username? That link would be useless...
I don't think that would be the end of the world. At the least (and as stated), the person would receive a message stating that the username don't exist. No different from a web page no longer existing (that was renamed, removed, etc).

imkingdavid wrote:... but moving to something closer to what the OP wants will have to wait until the main files are converted to the controller/routing system and the paths issue is worked out. Once that is done, I'd go for a url like ./user/username. This would make usernames like viewtopic.php no longer an issue.
This isn't a bad idea either.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Pony99CA wrote: Instead of limiting the total number of user name changes, a better system might be a flood control on user name changes. If I can only change my name once a month (for example), I wouldn't be able to grab too many at a time.
I just checked my profile on phpfreaks and i see they have this flood option on their IP Board.
Change Display Name

You have made 1 of 1 display name changes since 30 Mar 2013. You are permitted to make 1 changes in a 365 day period.
Changing your display name will not affect your log in details.

This is the display name you wish to now use. Characters not permitted: [ ] | , ; $
Previous user: TheKiller

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

keith10456 wrote:
Jessica. wrote:What if you linked to a user's profile and later that user changes his/her username? That link would be useless...
I don't think that would be the end of the world. At the least (and as stated), the person would receive a message stating that the username don't exist. No different from a web page no longer existing (that was renamed, removed, etc).
It would not be the most difficult thing to simply track usernames and keep a history. If a URL comes in for an older username, redirect to the proper name. By keeping a log of username changes you ensure that no collisions occur. That would prevent someone from creating a current username that was originally used by someone else, which could also lead to confusion. I have a MOD on my board that tracks changes to various profile fields so that when someone tells me, "I didn't change my email address" I can go back and say, "Yeah, yeah you did..." :)
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

-1 until we move the profiles to the front-controller (which is a large BC break).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.