Biggest competition threats to PHPBB forums

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Master_Cylinder

Re: Biggest competition threats to PHPBB forums

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I'd rather have people posting, using words, than just liking/disliking a post but your mileage may vary. I do think it should be part of the core, even if it's not turned on by default and I have installed a mod to give my forums that feature. I'm not convinced that the like/dislike feature encourages discussion though, so it might get disabled/uninstalled. It seems that clicking a thumb up/down is kind of lazy. Now, if the users click the thumbs AND post comments, fine. If they start using the thumbs instead of commenting, it goes.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Volksdevil

Re: Biggest competition threats to PHPBB forums

Post by Volksdevil »

I'd just like to add that having a like/dislike feature would be nice, as long as there is some form of control via ACP. It may not be a good idea for certain forum categories etc.