Updating vendors

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Updating vendors

Post by MichaelC »

callumacrae wrote:Why not making updating subjective? If the release doesn't break BC, don't update. If it breaks BC, evaluate it: if it's removing a commonly used function, don't update. If it's removing a function deprecated 20 years ago, update.
Because that's still breaking BC and there will be someone somewhere using it. Better safe than sorry? With the new release process anyway it won't be too long between feature releases so they don't have to wait long for jQ updates.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
Frug

Post by Frug »

Anyone who needs the latest jquery can really, really easily update it to that and deal with any compatibility issues themselves. I wouldn't spend time worrying about it or risking breaking things for it.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
callumacrae wrote:They removed support for some deprecated and undocumented functions, and added support for the deprecated functions back in a jQuery plugin.
Yes they did and on some they removed there was documentation

http://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/1.9/#ch ... jquery-1-9
"deprecated"
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

"undocumented"
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

RMcGirr83 wrote:"undocumented"
I don't get what you're trying to say. I said that they removed support for some deprecated functionality, and some undocumented functionality. You then said that they removed some documented functionality, which I said was the deprecated functionality.

Did you read my message wrong? I didn't mean that the functionality was both deprecated and undocumented (that's an oxymoron), I meant that the removed functionality was one or the other.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog