Update process for extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M Online

Re: Update process for extensions

Post by Meis2M »

is there any notification system for extensions system when new version extension arrive? admin how can find out new version released?
sorry for my english....

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Meis2M wrote:is there any notification system for extensions system when new version extension arrive? admin how can find out new version released?
sorry for my english....
Right now, you have to do like you currently do; you will have to keep an eye on the customisations database or development topic for the MOD/Extension. In the future, the Extensions Manager in the ACP will be connected to the Customisations Database and should inform the administrator when a new version is ready for release. I'm not sure if that will come as a notification in the new drop down or if you will have to actively look at the extension management area to see it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Meis2M wrote:is there any notification system for extensions system when new version extension arrive? admin how can find out new version released?
sorry for my english....
Right now, you have to do like you currently do; you will have to keep an eye on the customisations database or development topic for the MOD/Extension. In the future, the Extensions Manager in the ACP will be connected to the Customisations Database and should inform the administrator when a new version is ready for release. I'm not sure if that will come as a notification in the new drop down or if you will have to actively look at the extension management area to see it.
You can subscribe to customisations in the db and you'll receive emails/notifications on .com about new versions of the customisation being released.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Does anything prevent the Extension's author from checking automatically? It would require extra coding for the author, of course, adding an ACP extension even if no other changes were needed.

Plus, it would be kind of nasty if every author rolled their own version checking code, but is there any technical reason that it couldn't be done?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I do my own version checking in some of my own MODs. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for extensions to do the same. However, when customisations database integration is done, any extension-specific version checking code will be extraneous and should be removed or turned off.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:I do my own version checking in some of my own MODs. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for extensions to do the same. However, when customisations database integration is done, any extension-specific version checking code will be extraneous and should be removed or turned off.
Correct, it will simply check for any new versions using the cron every 7 days (which can be disabled) and allow a forced re-check. It won't check continuously.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I think checking every day would be better. Every week seems a bit long, especially if a security issue was discovered.

Also, has anybody thought about having new phpBB releases and Extension updates generate notifications? That way the admin/founder will see them without even having to log in to the ACP.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:I think checking every day would be better. Every week seems a bit long, especially if a security issue was discovered.
This.
Also, has anybody thought about having new phpBB releases and Extension updates generate notifications? That way the admin/founder will see them without even having to log in to the ACP.
That's a good idea but it won't be practical until we integrate the ACP with the customisations database.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:
That's a good idea but it won't be practical until we integrate the ACP with the customisations database.
Good point, but you could still do a notification for the phpBB update.

Steve

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Can we keep this on-topic. These posts belong in the composer topic. ;)