Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Frug

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Frug »

imkingdavid wrote: If you don't want the duplication, you can turn off receiving notifications for PMs by going to the notifications settings page and unchecking the box next to "Someone sends you a private message".
I get this, but since I expect new PMs to show up as a notification, what I actually want is the reverse. I want it shown in notifications, where I will look for all alerts, and so I have no use for it being displayed beside the notifications box as well.

If it meant "unread" messages, I could see how it's not really a notification (more like a status I may want to maintain), but if it resets when I view my inbox, what is the use of it? You've already got a way to tell me I have new messages.

Of course for my own project I'd just delete the latter from my template.

RE: Controls vs Settings: I think the term 'settings' is what people expect. 'Controls' sounds strange. And, indeed, some parts of the control panel are not really 'controls' (like the inbox). Maybe something like 'dashboard' as per wordpress.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:"Controls" seem appropriate for tech guys/gals like us here but for the average person visiting/joining a website, "Settings" is more appropriate and would make more sense to them.
I don't think that any "normal" person has a problem understanding what "controls" are. People have controls on the TV (a "remote" control, even), their cars, their appliances, etc. Anybody who can't figure out "Controls" probably won't understand "Settings", either. :D Given that you can send PMs in the UCP, that's also more of a "control" than a "setting".

Plus, for the MCP and ACP, at least, those people probably should be a bit more tech savvy than users.
keith10456 wrote:On another note, I agree with Pete... Looking at the header, having "0 New Messages" and "0 Notifications" seems redundant (and takes up a lot of space). "Inbox" would be better... Most members would know what its for right off the bat. And if there's new messages, it should appear in notifications.
That doesn't much matter to me. I would rather change "Private Messages" to something else (like "Personal Messages") to avoid bringing up privacy debates about the feature like we've seen on phpBB.com in the past. ;) But that's probably another RFC.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:"Controls" seem appropriate for tech guys/gals like us here but for the average person visiting/joining a website, "Settings" is more appropriate and would make more sense to them.
I don't think that any "normal" person has a problem understanding what "controls" are. People have controls on the TV (a "remote" control, even), their cars, their appliances, etc. Anybody who can't figure out "Controls" probably won't understand "Settings", either. :D Given that you can send PMs in the UCP, that's also more of a "control" than a "setting".
For arguments sake, I'll agree that we disagree :)
Pony99CA wrote: Plus, for the MCP and ACP, at least, those people probably should be a bit more tech savvy than users.
On this one I agree with you. I don't see a problem with MCP or ACP. Like I said, for us tech guys/gals, using "controls" is no problem at all.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I would argue that controls would be the easier to understand for the laymen as settings implies software where controls has more a tactile input requirement to me. If you not big into electronics & technology than settings is probably a new concept. Speaking from a stent as a PC repair person most people who are not tech savvy do not understand the concept of settings. Think of your grandparents using a cell phone if their is no button they have no clue most likely.

At least thats been my experience
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

hanakin wrote:I would argue that controls would be the easier to understand for the laymen as settings implies software where controls has more a tactile input requirement to me. If you not big into electronics & technology than settings is probably a new concept. Speaking from a stent as a PC repair person most people who are not tech savvy do not understand the concept of settings. Think of your grandparents using a cell phone if their is no button they have no clue most likely.

At least thats been my experience
Using unique visitors, and website hits as a measurement tool, a very large percentage of the people (if not most) that use the Internet these days at some point are using FB, Twitter, and/or YouTube. All three of these sites (and a number of the other most popular websites) use "settings" and not "controls" or some other technical term because they know that "settings" is a more user-friendly and familiar word (for a member's account options).

Likewise, a large majority of the people that are on the Net these days are familiar with "settings" because they're using these popular websites.

You having a pc repair background I can understand why "controls" would be more appropriate to you. Which I think further proves my point.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:Using unique visitors, and website hits as a measurement tool, a very large percentage of the people (if not most) that use the Internet these days at some point are using FB, Twitter, and/or YouTube. All three of these sites (and a number of the other most popular websites) use "settings" and not "controls" or some other technical term because they know that "settings" is a more user-friendly and familiar word (for a member's account options).
Either term is OK; the main point that seems to be getting lost is to shorten the links in the nav bar if we also put the MCP and ACP links there. Let's get that change merged into the code and then debate the semantics.

However, if you think that "controls" is a "technical" term, there's not much more to say. It is a very common word used in many contexts (how many times have you heard somebody say that they "fiddled with the controls").

As for it's being more "user-friendly", can you cite a study that shows this? Trying to infer that because some Web sites use it is specious reasoning. I could equally well cite the "Control Panel" in Windows. I think that people are used to both and will easily figure out what goes on there. I just happen to think that "controls" is slightly more accurate than "settings" and will be more familiar to existing phpBB users, but I'm fine with either.

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Using unique visitors, and website hits as a measurement tool, a very large percentage of the people (if not most) that use the Internet these days at some point are using FB, Twitter, and/or YouTube. All three of these sites (and a number of the other most popular websites) use "settings" and not "controls" or some other technical term because they know that "settings" is a more user-friendly and familiar word (for a member's account options).
Either term is OK; the main point that seems to be getting lost is to shorten the links in the nav bar if we also put the MCP and ACP links there. Let's get that changed merged into the code and then debate the semantics...
I agree that it's not that serious... Fortunately, we have language files that can be edited :D So with either word it can be changed to suit the admin's desire (hopefully we go with "settings" :P )