Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by callumacrae »

VSE+ wrote:I did a quick mockup of the header with icons and all the pertinent links in it, based on some of the discussion here, just to see what it would look like, and maybe further the discussion on improving the header bar:
test.jpg
Looks awesome. My only criticism is that I don't think the ACP link should be in the header. There isn't really room (especially when users add links to the right, as a lot of modifications do), and it's fine in the footer.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Discussion about changing the control panel links should go in a separate RFC. This topic is about the private messages link.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:Discussion about changing the control panel links should go in a separate RFC. This topic is about the private messages link.
c'mon, seriously? I don't think talking about a header shuffle in a topic about the private messages link (which is in the header, and was shuffled) is that unreasonable. Which would you prefer, a nice organised forum, or a good forum software? Posts like yours just slow down the development process further.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

VSE+ wrote:
t_backoff wrote:
VSE+ wrote:I did a quick mockup of the header with icons and all the pertinent links in it, based on some of the discussion here, just to see what it would look like, and maybe further the discussion on improving the header bar:
test.jpg
OK, now that I see a concept, I'm going to redact my previous stance. THAT IS ONE AWESOME MOCKUP! Please create a pull request so that it looks like that. My only concern (as someone else pointed out) is styles that are fixed width (prosilver se for example). Maybe move the MCP and ACP links to below the navbar (where the MCP currently is)?
Or put the control panels all into a drop down menu:
-Control Panel
|-> User Control Panel
|-> Moderator Control Panel
|-> Administration Control Panel
No please, that adds extra, unneeded, clicks for common pages.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I like it, but where is View your posts?
Its so lonely up there, I figured it would make more sense placed alongside: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics
I would agree, except those links are only shown on the Board Index page; View your posts is shown on almost every page. Maybe we could add those links on another line below the navbar and show them on every page? It always seemed a bit odd to have them split like they are currently.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

paulus wrote:
VSE+ wrote:
t_backoff wrote:
test.jpg
OK, now that I see a concept, I'm going to redact my previous stance. THAT IS ONE AWESOME MOCKUP! Please create a pull request so that it looks like that. My only concern (as someone else pointed out) is styles that are fixed width (prosilver se for example). Maybe move the MCP and ACP links to below the navbar (where the MCP currently is)?
-Control Panel
|-> User Control Panel
not really unless you are on a mobile device drop downs should be hover displayed
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:
paulus wrote:
VSE+ wrote:
t_backoff wrote:
test.jpg
-Control Panel
|-> User Control Panel
not really unless you are on a mobile device drop downs should be hover displayed
If you use the HTML drop-down list, it does require a click. I suppose that you could implement a hover drop-down with CSS & JavaScript, but that still requires extra mousing (if not clicking) -- you have to mouse over to hover, then mouse down, then click instead of mousing to the appropriate link, then clicking it. So when people say "extra clicks", you should think "extra mouse activity". ;)

And, again, links in a drop-down are hidden until people display the drop-down, so I agree with paulus.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Pony99CA wrote:If you use the HTML drop-down list, it does require a click. I suppose that you could implement a hover drop-down with CSS & JavaScript, but that still requires extra mousing (if not clicking) -- you have to mouse over to hover, then mouse down, then click instead of mousing to the appropriate link, then clicking it. So when people say "extra clicks", you should think "extra mouse activity". ;)

And, again, links in a drop-down are hidden until people display the drop-down, so I agree with paulus.

Steve
The problem, really, is that the ACP, UCP and MCP links are all too verbose, and as a result, the original designers of phpBB3 and prosilver had to compromise on where to put them, so they are dispersed throughout the page in a manner that is not very UI friendly. Of course, WE are all used to it by now, but any look at other types of sites, from Github to Facebook, will show that access to User Control settings/panels are typically kept together in one location, above the fold, usually in a header area.
Has an irascible disposition.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:If you use the HTML drop-down list, it does require a click. I suppose that you could implement a hover drop-down with CSS & JavaScript, but that still requires extra mousing (if not clicking) -- you have to mouse over to hover, then mouse down, then click instead of mousing to the appropriate link, then clicking it. So when people say "extra clicks", you should think "extra mouse activity". ;)

The problem, really, is that the ACP, UCP and MCP links are all too verbose, and as a result, the original designers of phpBB3 and prosilver had to compromise on where to put them, so they are dispersed throughout the page in a manner that is not very UI friendly.
I agree. However, they didn't have to spread them out like they did. They could have put the ACP link immediately below the MCP link, for example, and therefore kept both near the UCP link.

As for the verbosity, we could solve a little of that by using "Controls" instead of "Control Panel". That will save five characters per panel type.

Steve
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Pony99CA wrote:As for the verbosity, we could solve a little of that by using "Controls" instead of "Control Panel". That will save five characters per panel type.

Steve
I'd go so far as to say renaming them:
User Control Panel => My Account (or My Settings)
Moderator Control Panel => Moderator Tools
Administration Control Panel => Admin Settings
Has an irascible disposition.