Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Pony99CA

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:Changing the notifications drop down to open when it is hovered over may be a bad idea due to its close proximity to the MCP link. People with bad aim may get annoyed when the notifications drop down covers the mcp and they have to move the mouse away and then back when they're trying to get to the MCP instead of the notifications.

As for the PM link in the notifications drop down, I think it should remain separate. Currently, the notification settings link is in that spot, and making the user click twice to get to the PM link is what we're trying to avoid anyway.
Not sure I understand reasoning for no hover? unless you are referring to mobile devices which do not do a hover function. I would argue that the MCP link is in a really stupid place anyway... it should be beside the UCP link and so should the admin link fo that matter as they are related in or share common ground this is the point I am trying to make that the entire interface for the current theme is all over the place and inconsistent.
I agree that the positioning of the MCP and ACP links is poor, but that's not really relevant to whether there should be a PM link.
hanakin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: "Why should he have to display notifications to click the link?" The point is that users should see the link to the PM area without any user interaction.

Plus, if the user doesn't have any Notifications (like I currently don't), hovering over the link doesn't display the Notifications window.

Remember, Private Mesages are not Notifications -- the arrival of a new PM is a Notification. Even if I don't have any PMs, I may still want to send one out. Your proposal seems to confuse the two.
Again you misunderstand the point of the argument its that the entire interface is not thought out. It does not work for multiple devices. It was created over a decade ago when the concept of interface (UX/UI) did not exist. aka "The Dark Ages"
You don't know what I understand. I don't see you presenting a proposal for a redesigned UI, just moving one link. If you want to propose a new UI, I'd love to see it, but that's a topic for an RFC.

The point that you're ignoring or missing is that our users expect a PM link there, so we should keep it there. You also ignored my point that PMs are not notifications (if I turn all notifications off, I still get the PMs) and therefore making the Notifications box the "main" link to the PM page is mixing metaphors and therefore poor design. It would be similar to moving the Subscribe forum link to the Notifications box because forum subscription notifications get displayed there.

Steve

P.S. Your comment about UI design timing is also wrong. I was working on UI design back in the early 90s (before the Web) on PC programs. Even if you discount PC programs, Jakob Nielsen was working on Web Usability back in the late 90s. Here's a link to his book, Designing Web Usability, published in 1999 (which, given publishing lag times, probably meant that much of it was 2-3 years old by that time).

Usability expectations have certainly come a long way since then, but to say that the concept didn't exist is completely ridiculous.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE »

I did a quick mockup of the header with icons and all the pertinent links in it, based on some of the discussion here, just to see what it would look like, and maybe further the discussion on improving the header bar:
test.jpg
(27.9 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
Has an irascible disposition.
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

VSE+ wrote:I did a quick mockup of the header with icons and all the pertinent links in it, based on some of the discussion here, just to see what it would look like, and maybe further the discussion on improving the header bar:
test.jpg
+1

its better remove acp link from footer.
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Meis2M wrote:its better remove acp link from footer.
That is a bad idea. I don't mind duplicating the link somewhere better, but it's not good if an administrator suddenly cannot find how to access the ACP because we decided to move the link somewhere else.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
Pete77s

Post by Pete77s »

Now imagine a header like that on a style such as prosilver_se
John P

Post by John P »

Why are we afraid to improve, only because people can't find what they are used to. I'm not used to find notifications in the navbar so it should not be there. It's the place for ucp and now I can not find ucp anymore.... Come on.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE+ wrote:I did a quick mockup of the header with icons and all the pertinent links in it, based on some of the discussion here, just to see what it would look like, and maybe further the discussion on improving the header bar:
test.jpg
I like it, but where is View your posts?
John P wrote:Why are we afraid to improve, only because people can't find what they are used to. I'm not used to find notifications in the navbar so it should not be there. It's the place for ucp and now I can not find ucp anymore.... Come on.
That's not the same thing all. A new feature, like Notifications, has to go somewhere, and the navbar is a reasonable place. Moving a commonly used feature, especially when the new place isn't visible without user action, is quite different and can cause user confusion.

It's not that anybody is "afraid" to improve; we just have a very large body of users who are used to phpBB 3.0 and we want to create as little pain as possible when moving to the new version. (But see below.)

Also remember that this is basically a style issue, so if you think that you can redesign phpBB in a more user-friendly way, you can always create your own style and see how popular it becomes. The default style, however, should stay close to ProSilver.
imkingdavid wrote:
Meis2M wrote:its better remove acp link from footer.
That is a bad idea. I don't mind duplicating the link somewhere better, but it's not good if an administrator suddenly cannot find how to access the ACP because we decided to move the link somewhere else.
That's OK, but, notwithstanding what I just said above ;), I think that moving the ACP link farther up the page will make it more noticeable, so I hope that people wouldn't miss it, scroll down to the old location and then complain. If you want to keep it in two places for now, that's OK with me, but let's remove the link at the bottom in 3.2. That should give people time to get used to the new placement.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE »

Pony99CA wrote:I like it, but where is View your posts?
Its so lonely up there, I figured it would make more sense placed alongside: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics
tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

test.jpg
OK, now that I see a concept, I'm going to redact my previous stance. THAT IS ONE AWESOME MOCKUP! Please create a pull request so that it looks like that. My only concern (as someone else pointed out) is styles that are fixed width (prosilver se for example). Maybe move the MCP and ACP links to below the navbar (where the MCP currently is)?
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE »

t_backoff wrote:
test.jpg
OK, now that I see a concept, I'm going to redact my previous stance. THAT IS ONE AWESOME MOCKUP! Please create a pull request so that it looks like that. My only concern (as someone else pointed out) is styles that are fixed width (prosilver se for example). Maybe move the MCP and ACP links to below the navbar (where the MCP currently is)?
Or put the control panels all into a drop down menu:
-Control Panel
|-> User Control Panel
|-> Moderator Control Panel
|-> Administration Control Panel