Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Post Reply
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by hanakin »

since we are stealing the design of the notifications from FB we might as well steal their method for PMs as notifications includes their count anyway, by moving the link to pms to the top-left of the notification box header and jut label it send PM or PM Inbox something along those lines
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by EXreaction »

I don't think Facebook was the first one to have the idea of notifications with a flyout menu. ;)

I would like to make a similar flyout for private messages as we have for notifications, and list the recent message threads (the reason this hasn't been done yet is that a new caching mechanism needs to be designed).
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by hanakin »

lol I meant design was copied from them. flyouts concept actually come from the MAC world originally

as for the separate flyout, that just adds clutter to the navigation UX/I PMs semantically belong in the notifications window itself. If a spereate link is required from a UX/I standpoint to the PM area, then it should be added to the notification call out as I pointed out as it is a notification in itself.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:lol I meant design was copied from them. flyouts concept actually come from the MAC world originally
Are you sure they didn't copy it from Xerox PARC? ;)
hanakin wrote:If a spereate link is required from a UX/I standpoint to the PM area, then it should be added to the notification call out as I pointed out as it is a notification in itself.
Absolutely not. Current phpBB has a way on (almost) every page to directly access your PMs. Your suggestion would hide that in the Notifications area, even if there weren't any notifications pending. For example, if a user had read all of his PMs but wanted to go re-read or send one, why should he have to go to the notifications area?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:If a spereate link is required from a UX/I standpoint to the PM area, then it should be added to the notification call out as I pointed out as it is a notification in itself.
Absolutely not. Current phpBB has a way on (almost) every page to directly access your PMs. Your suggestion would hide that in the Notifications area, even if there weren't any notifications pending. For example, if a user had read all of his PMs but wanted to go re-read or send one, why should he have to go to the notifications area?

Steve
He does not go to the notifiations area he hovers over notifications in the primary nav and clicks the Private Messges Link in the notifications drop down/flyout! Similar to this
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 7.13.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 7.13.18 PM.png (40.27 KiB) Viewed 5117 times
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
User avatar
John P
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by John P »

+1
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by imkingdavid »

Changing the notifications drop down to open when it is hovered over may be a bad idea due to its close proximity to the MCP link. People with bad aim may get annoyed when the notifications drop down covers the mcp and they have to move the mouse away and then back when they're trying to get to the MCP instead of the notifications.

As for the PM link in the notifications drop down, I think it should remain separate. Currently, the notification settings link is in that spot, and making the user click twice to get to the PM link is what we're trying to avoid anyway.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:If a spereate link is required from a UX/I standpoint to the PM area, then it should be added to the notification call out as I pointed out as it is a notification in itself.
Absolutely not. Current phpBB has a way on (almost) every page to directly access your PMs. Your suggestion would hide that in the Notifications area, even if there weren't any notifications pending. For example, if a user had read all of his PMs but wanted to go re-read or send one, why should he have to go to the notifications area?
He does not go to the notifiations area he hovers over notifications in the primary nav and clicks the Private Messges Link in the notifications drop down/flyout! Similar to this
Hovering over the link is what I meant by "going to the notifications area". If you don't like that phrasing, change it to "Why should he have to display notifications to click the link?" The point is that users should see the link to the PM area without any user interaction.

Plus, if the user doesn't have any Notifications (like I currently don't), hovering over the link doesn't display the Notifications window.

Remember, Private Mesages are not Notifications -- the arrival of a new PM is a Notification. Even if I don't have any PMs, I may still want to send one out. Your proposal seems to confuse the two.
imkingdavid wrote: As for the PM link in the notifications drop down, I think it should remain separate. Currently, the notification settings link is in that spot, and making the user click twice to get to the PM link is what we're trying to avoid anyway.
Exactly right.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by hanakin »

imkingdavid wrote:Changing the notifications drop down to open when it is hovered over may be a bad idea due to its close proximity to the MCP link. People with bad aim may get annoyed when the notifications drop down covers the mcp and they have to move the mouse away and then back when they're trying to get to the MCP instead of the notifications.

As for the PM link in the notifications drop down, I think it should remain separate. Currently, the notification settings link is in that spot, and making the user click twice to get to the PM link is what we're trying to avoid anyway.
Not sure I understand reasoning for no hover? unless you are referring to mobile devices which do not do a hover function. I would argue that the MCP link is in a really stupid place anyway... it should be beside the UCP link and so should the admin link fo that matter as they are related in or share common ground this is the point I am trying to make that the entire interface for the current theme is all over the place and inconsistent.

If the only argument that you can make is positional then you need to ask yourself if the position of everything effected makes sense from a user mind set. You need to forget that you know how to use the current interface and think about it from a logical standpoint. If you can not see the screen and you had to guess where a specific function of the software was located based on the description of the software then where would you guess that it was.

ppl hate on facebook for making drastic changes to the user interface so quickly because it makes them relearn an interface however they put a crap ton of research money into the interface of their application, and the is what drives the changes.
Pony99CA wrote:
"Why should he have to display notifications to click the link?" The point is that users should see the link to the PM area without any user interaction.

Plus, if the user doesn't have any Notifications (like I currently don't), hovering over the link doesn't display the Notifications window.

Remember, Private Mesages are not Notifications -- the arrival of a new PM is a Notification. Even if I don't have any PMs, I may still want to send one out. Your proposal seems to confuse the two.
Again you misunderstand the point of the argument its that the entire interface is not thought out. It does not work for multiple devices. It was created over a decade ago when the concept of interface (UX/UI) did not exist. aka "The Dark Ages"

Features should be contained in sets based on commonality and positioned in place that are easy to access and unobtrusive to the content. Look at the other forum softwares out their and you will see this to varying extents
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
User avatar
John P
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by John P »

Well said Hanakin. my English is not that good to explain all this but I agree with you.
As pm 's arrive in the notification box then I don't need the extra link anymore. Or if the link should stay because of, I don't need the pm's in the notification box. It's a bb and not a private message system as many have in their signature, "don't pm me for help"

If it should be a hover or a click, I prefer a click personally simply because it stays open while moving my mouse.
Post Reply