Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Post Reply
User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by callumacrae »

Again, mobile design is a bad example. Mobile design is about space conservation.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:Again, mobile design is a bad example.
Says you. :P
callumacrae wrote:Mobile design is about space conservation.
Some of it is, but this example trascends the mobile space (I just used that since so many people have iPhones). I believe some Windows System Tray icons indicate state, as do some WIndows 8 Live Tiles. There's not much space conservation needed on a Windows 8 laptop.

The analogy was about indicating a count in the same place you look for the messaging function. Seems right on point to me (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it and risked getting the Example Police on my case). :lol: (In fact, I just re-read the initial post and it's almost exactly what I said above -- even to the phone example.)

The postman comment was bad (albeit funny) because a doorbell distracts you from what you're doing and makes you go somewhere else (often quite a ways away) only to notice nothing is there. My example (and the Private Message suggestion) doesn't make you go anywhere -- you're already looking at the screen, but just seeing a slightly different picture when there's something there or not.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
KnocksX
Registered User
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:03 am

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by KnocksX »

People trying to reinvent the wheel with painfully obvious things like this one is exactly why development slows down. What was the last piece of modern software you've seen that notified you of zero messages? The whole point of a notification is to notify you of messages. The only reason it says 0 messages now is because this wasn't thought out properly the first time around (back in what, 2006?). The interface should get out of the user's face when it's not serving a function. The mailman example was exactly on point. Yes, the notification doesn't make you "go" anywhere, but the user's attention is a finite source, and you shouldn't distract him with useless information.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by imkingdavid »

With the notifications feature now merged, I think we should simply put: "Private Messages" without a number, as the number of messages you don't know about will be apparent in the notification box. We should still keep the link in some form regardless.

What I would eventually like to see, and I think I saw someone bring it up already somewhere, is just a mail icon with a number that appears when you have new messages. Like on a smartphone with the text messages count. It may not go well with this style, but I think it would make things a bit nicer looking.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
DocSommer
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by DocSommer »

https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 84&t=42829

Is this the notification feature?

I haven't digged through the entire threat yet but I assume it's about a little notification box that will appear for some seconds. From my own experience I can tell that these kind of notifications are basicly great but might be overlooked in many cases, that's why it's a good addition but no replacement for a static notification-cound display.

Speaking of notifications in general, I (again) assume that this notification feature might get triggered by different events, like "new PM's" or "user x quoted you" or "new reply by X in subscribes topic Y" and whatever stuff I can't imagine right now? In this case we probably don't need separate static counts for misc events anymore but some kind of notification center that summarizes these events.
User avatar
John P
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by John P »

The notifications are displaying also pm's so why should there be a different line in navbar?
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by imkingdavid »

DocSommer wrote:https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 84&t=42829

Is this the notification feature?

I haven't digged through the entire threat yet but I assume it's about a little notification box that will appear for some seconds. From my own experience I can tell that these kind of notifications are basicly great but might be overlooked in many cases, that's why it's a good addition but no replacement for a static notification-cound display.

Speaking of notifications in general, I (again) assume that this notification feature might get triggered by different events, like "new PM's" or "user x quoted you" or "new reply by X in subscribes topic Y" and whatever stuff I can't imagine right now? In this case we probably don't need separate static counts for misc events anymore but some kind of notification center that summarizes these events.
This board should eventually be updated so you can see it in action. Basically there's a new link to the left of the User control panel link that has a drop down to show the most recent notifications. Think Facebook. So it's not a little popup notification.
John P wrote:The notifications are displaying also pm's so why should there be a different line in navbar?
there should always be a link to the PM screen from any page. If there are no pm related notifications and we remove the pm link from its current location, that will not be the case.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
John P
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by John P »

UCP is always visible when logged in so it's one click away.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by imkingdavid »

John P wrote:UCP is always visible when logged in so it's one click away.
UCP is always one click away, but private messages wouldn't be if we removed that link. IMO the link should remain in one form or another, whether as it is now or as static text, or in some other way.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:With the notifications feature now merged, I think we should simply put: "Private Messages" without a number, as the number of messages you don't know about will be apparent in the notification box. We should still keep the link in some form regardless.

What I would eventually like to see, and I think I saw someone bring it up already somewhere, is just a mail icon with a number that appears when you have new messages. Like on a smartphone with the text messages count. It may not go well with this style, but I think it would make things a bit nicer looking.
I think that if you completely remove the PM link from the top of the page, a lot of people will complain, so your proposals sound very reasonable.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Post Reply