Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Post Reply
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:As for the verbosity, we could solve a little of that by using "Controls" instead of "Control Panel". That will save five characters per panel type.
I'd go so far as to say renaming them:
User Control Panel => My Account (or My Settings)
Moderator Control Panel => Moderator Tools
Administration Control Panel => Admin Settings
OK, but "Settings" isn't any shorter than "Controls". ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Mess »

Pony99CA wrote:
VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:As for the verbosity, we could solve a little of that by using "Controls" instead of "Control Panel". That will save five characters per panel type.
I'd go so far as to say renaming them:
User Control Panel => My Account (or My Settings)
Moderator Control Panel => Moderator Tools
Administration Control Panel => Admin Settings
OK, but "Settings" isn't any shorter than "Controls". ;)

Steve
But "Settings" is shorter than "User Control Panel", and much better than "Controls".
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by keith10456 »

... And "Settings" is more explanatory than "Controls".
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:... And "Settings" is more explanatory than "Controls".
I disagree -- "Settings" could just be a view of your current settings; "Controls" implies, well, control. Also, "settings" implies that you can set options, but you can do more (like add and delete forums, for example); I think that's why "Moderator Tools" sounds better than "Moderator Settings". But, really, it's semantics and I think most people would figure it out.

The other reason for using "Controls" is that the current items are called "Control Panels", so keeping "Control" in there somewhere may make more sense to users of phpBB 3.0.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:... And "Settings" is more explanatory than "Controls".
I disagree -- "Settings" could just be a view of your current settings; "Controls" implies, well, control. Also, "settings" implies that you can set options, but you can do more (like add and delete forums, for example); I think that's why "Moderator Tools" sounds better than "Moderator Settings". But, really, it's semantics and I think most people would figure it out.

The other reason for using "Controls" is that the current items are called "Control Panels", so keeping "Control" in there somewhere may make more sense to users of phpBB 3.0.

Steve
UCP - I believe this is the only one VSE said should be settings which makes absolute sense as they can no do anything other than settings here really. so "Settings", "Profile Settings" sounds plausible to me
MCP - I agree that this should not be settings as it has more functionality so controls makes more sense than settings, but I think Tools better conveys the Job than Controls. So "Moderator Tools" or "Mod Tools" I am fine with either.
ACP - This is probably the only one that truly fits the Controls classifier so "Admin Controls" or "Administrator Controls"
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
DocSommer
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by DocSommer »

I like it but isn't this a different suggestion deserving an own thread. I'm all +1 to optimize the wording since some terms aren't really end-user friendly but if we put everything into one thread there's a hardly a chance to keep track of everything. My initial request was changing the notification behaviour (with different wording as necessary side effect). Perhaps a mod can open a new thread for simple wording changes (with no functional affects).

thx


@new changes here:

I,m seeing now two "o new whatever" notifications giving me no information in this area 51s header, another step backwards for two reasons imho. The first reason is already explained in the initial post and the second reason: Why trying to establish a notification center but exlude certain notification events out of it. At least it could be arranged together cosmetical-wise like [X new notifications / Y new messages] - or just a single count with more information on mouseover.
Frug
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:33 am

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Frug »

DocSommer wrote: I,m seeing now two "o new whatever" notifications giving me no information in this area 51s header, another step backwards for two reasons imho. The first reason is already explained in the initial post and the second reason: Why trying to establish a notification center but exlude certain notification events out of it. At least it could be arranged together cosmetical-wise like [X new notifications / Y new messages] - or just a single count with more information on mouseover.
I agree that it's strange. I think I understand why it is done this way (because "new" messages really means "unread" messages and so they may not actually be "new") but I also expect new messages to be listed in notifications, so having two things give the same information doesn't seem right.

If I have to manually dismiss a notification to make it go away, it means I've acknowledged (and perhaps chosen to ignore) the information, so I don't need new or unread messages to be listed.

Perhaps it would seem less redundant if the "0 new messages" was changed to just an icon with a number in it located in a less conspicuous place.
User avatar
Pete77s
Registered User
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:55 am

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by Pete77s »

One way I've done for 3.0.11 is show simply "Inbox" on the header. Then when there is a messages or more 'inbox' turns into 1 new message or 2 new messages. then soon as i enter ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox page, it reads message/s unread: 1and it will stay that way till that message or messages are actually clicked upon. And once that is done, the link and wording is back to "Inbox". This is all possible with phpbbs own if statements. I like it clean and simple that way..

Sometimes I want to peak to see who wrote because maybe I'm not notified via email about it. I sometimes will forget I had a message as I'm busy doing other things at work or home etc. So for me, it is useful that it displays a reminder of unread messages. But as for showing 0... I don't think it's necessary and is a bit of space waster.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by imkingdavid »

Frug wrote:(because "new" messages really means "unread" messages and so they may not actually be "new")
To clarify, "new" is message you have not yet seen in your inbox. They lose their "new" status when you view the inbox. "Unread" is a message you have not yet opened to see its content. You can have messages that are not new but are unread.
Frug wrote:If I have to manually dismiss a notification to make it go away, it means I've acknowledged (and perhaps chosen to ignore) the information, so I don't need new or unread messages to be listed.
If you don't want the duplication, you can turn off receiving notifications for PMs by going to the notifications settings page and unchecking the box next to "Someone sends you a private message".
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:... And "Settings" is more explanatory than "Controls".
I disagree -- "Settings" could just be a view of your current settings; "Controls" implies, well, control. Also, "settings" implies that you can set options, but you can do more (like add and delete forums, for example); I think that's why "Moderator Tools" sounds better than "Moderator Settings". But, really, it's semantics and I think most people would figure it out.

The other reason for using "Controls" is that the current items are called "Control Panels", so keeping "Control" in there somewhere may make more sense to users of phpBB 3.0.

Steve
"Controls" seem appropriate for tech guys/gals like us here but for the average person visiting/joining a website, "Settings" is more appropriate and would make more sense to them.

On another note, I agree with Pete... Looking at the header, having "0 New Messages" and "0 Notifications" seems redundant (and takes up a lot of space). "Inbox" would be better... Most members would know what its for right off the bat. And if there's new messages, it should appear in notifications.
Post Reply