Attachment Downloads

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Master_Cylinder

Re: Attachment Downloads

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Most hosts won't have a problem with so few downloads. The example file you gave was only 2megs and even if you multiply that by 25 users; it's still only 50megs total.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

leschek

Post by leschek »

I also would like to have option to disable it. I believe that some users who use picture attachments wouldn't be too happy if someone can download all their pictures in topic at once.
nickvergessen wrote:The button is only for all attachments of one post/topic/pm, not a forum or even the whole phpbb. You still see the need for a disable option?
Can user download all attachments at once from topic with more pages?

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

leschek wrote:Can user download all attachments at once from topic with more pages?
Yes and this is a problem!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Downloading a 2MB zip file is hardly going to tickle the server here no matter how many users do it simultaneously. ;-)

I think a more valid argument is that you could run out of your monthly bandwidth allotment quicker in the case of shared hosting, not that the forum would slow down due to this feature because that is simply not a valid or realistic scenario.

Mess

Post by Mess »

DavidIQ wrote:Downloading a 2MB zip file is hardly going to tickle the server here no matter how many users do it simultaneously. ;-)

I think a more valid argument is that you could run out of your monthly bandwidth allotment quicker in the case of shared hosting, not that the forum would slow down due to this feature because that is simply not a valid or realistic scenario.
Running out of monthly bandwidth is a non issue also. I presume users who download attachments from a topic do it no matter if there is a download all link or not. Only difference being that is easier for them. Which would only make them appreciate the forum more, right?

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

DavidIQ wrote:Downloading a 2MB zip file is hardly going to tickle the server here no matter how many users do it simultaneously. ;-)
For 50MB nothing happens but what happens if the total is 200MB? (Images, archives, etc etc)
Then you are free to do as you like, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not really clear on what the "problem" is actually. The forum will not slow down because of this feature specifically so that can't be it...

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

I'm trying phpBB 3.1 b2 in my private forum and I can confirm the problems caused by this function.
In my forum I have discussions with 40 pages and about 30 attachments (90MB), at this moment about 27 users are downloading all attachments of the discussions instead of single file slowing down the forum.
This function must be disabled from the admin panel!
Thanks

Mess

Post by Mess »

Would those 27 users not download all attachments anyway even if the option was removed?

leschek

Post by leschek »

It is not my forum, but I believe they would download only attachments they need. Now if users want to download let's say 5 attachments it is easier for them to click on one button and download all in once than go through the pages and download attachments one by one.
If developers will not create the switch for this function in ACP I think "Extension team" can make it as their first extension.