Registration Checks

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Registration Checks

Post by Dragosvr92 »

As 3.1 will use a lot of AJAX functions, i think it might be a good idea to add Checks for the username, email, password.
For the username it can check if the username is already registered, or if it can be registered(there may be limits on character numbers, or symbols usage etc)
For the email/email it can check if you typed the same contents in the second box.

There is already this MOD, but i think it would be prettier to be part of the core. :|
Breizh Ajax Checks
Previous user: TheKiller
Mess

Re: Registration Checks

Post by Mess »

+1
Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

this would be nice +1
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

+1
ForumsFaciles

Post by ForumsFaciles »

Hello,

I like the idea. I use the MOD mentioned and it's useful.

+1

@+++
Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Maybe we can make use of the new html5 input attributes, for email and passwords etc too :)
I hear that the current mod has a couple issues if you use other jquery scripts, as they interfere...
Previous user: TheKiller
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

TheKiller wrote:As 3.1 will use a lot of AJAX functions, i think it might be a good idea to add Checks for the username, email, password.
Why AJAX for the password?
TheKiller wrote:For the username it can check if the username is already registered, or if it can be registered(there may be limits on character numbers, or symbols usage etc)
+1 for AJAX check if the username exists.
-1 for AJAX check if the username follows the options in the ACP. Javascript without the AJAX technology should be used instead. like HTML5's input@pattern and input@required.
TheKiller wrote:For the email/email it can check if you typed the same contents in the second box.
There's no 2nd box. There's only 1 box for the e-mail in 3.1.
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

brunoais wrote:
TheKiller wrote:As 3.1 will use a lot of AJAX functions, i think it might be a good idea to add Checks for the username, email, password.
It would just be plain javascript for the password, just to make sure it is entered correctly twice and is the correct length. Unless, that is, we implement some password strength requirements (upper/lower-case letter, number, special character, etc.); in that case it would be easier with AJAX.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

imkingdavid wrote:
brunoais wrote:
It would just be plain javascript for the password, just to make sure it is entered correctly twice and is the correct length.
We could just use something like passA == passB unless you want to tell directly to the user that both passwords have different lengths.
imkingdavid wrote:Unless, that is, we implement some password strength requirements (upper/lower-case letter, number, special character, etc.); in that case it would be easier with AJAX.
Just send the regex used for the check to the user. It's no problem to send such info to the browser, isn't it?
Senky Online
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

brunoais wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:Unless, that is, we implement some password strength requirements (upper/lower-case letter, number, special character, etc.); in that case it would be easier with AJAX.
Just send the regex used for the check to the user. It's no problem to send such info to the browser, isn't it?
No, simple condition going from the weakest regex to the strongest one, and first one that matches will stop it. Simple enough, IMO.