Normal user stickied thread

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
rooter

Normal user stickied thread

Post by rooter »

It would be cool it normal users could sticky any threads that they like. This feature would only show for the users themselves.

Sometimes forums are so busy that it is hard to go back and follow a thread. It would be nice if I could pin and unpin any threads that I see fit.
Last edited by HGN on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from RFC to Discussion

HGN

Re: Normal user stickied thread

Post by HGN »

You could bookmark the topics you want to follow.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Or subscribe to the topic.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I think I posted this somewhere, but both bookmarks and subscription are too cumbersome to use in my opinion. They are very far from pages I usually visit (buried in ucp somewhere, should be a lot closer top level - say, equal placement to viewing own posts). I bookmarked a few topics on .com and I don't think I ever went back to any of them.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Oleg wrote:I think I posted this somewhere, but both bookmarks and subscription are too cumbersome to use in my opinion. They are very far from pages I usually visit (buried in ucp somewhere, should be a lot closer top level - say, equal placement to viewing own posts). I bookmarked a few topics on .com and I don't think I ever went back to any of them.
I agree. We should somehow increase the prominence of bookmarked topics. For instance, we could display a short list of the last 5 unread bookmarked topics somewhere on index, and then have a link to the full list with that. Or something...
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Oleg wrote:I think I posted this somewhere, but both bookmarks and subscription are too cumbersome to use in my opinion. They are very far from pages I usually visit (buried in ucp somewhere, should be a lot closer top level - say, equal placement to viewing own posts). I bookmarked a few topics on .com and I don't think I ever went back to any of them.
I agree. We should somehow increase the prominence of bookmarked topics. For instance, we could display a short list of the last 5 unread bookmarked topics somewhere on index, and then have a link to the full list with that. Or something...
+1 to increasing hte prominence but probably not a list of them on the index or something. Perhaps a little symbol somewhere for new bookmarked topic replies per forum or something.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

imkingdavid wrote:
+1 for index. I think we should complexly think about rebuilding index, because forum-list only is well... quite little information, while index page should inform user about all news from board. But it is for another discussion, so adding even to index: YES!

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

-1 for the forum-list.
Yes bookmarks and subscriptions should be easier to access but they shouldn't be right in your face every time. Mostly you bookmark something for future reference but you ain't going to look at those topic every time you visit the board (exceptions left aside). A link straight to bookmarks in the navbar would be a far better solution, it allows easy access but doesn't pollute the board distracting from the real content.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

I think there should be a link for them right next to "View new posts" and "View active topics" on the front page. Also, the buttons for suscribing and boomarking on the footer aren't getting any attention there.

To be honest I would also merge both bookmark and suscribing into one with suscribing as a feature of bookmarks but thats just me.

That being said, this could get even more confusing with the new "Like" proposal.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:-1 for the forum-list.
Yes bookmarks and subscriptions should be easier to access but they shouldn't be right in your face every time. Mostly you bookmark something for future reference but you ain't going to look at those topic every time you visit the board (exceptions left aside). A link straight to bookmarks in the navbar would be a far better solution, it allows easy access but doesn't pollute the board distracting from the real content.
I agree with this. I bookmark topics but I don't reference them every time I login. A link in the navbar is more then sufficient.