Thanks for post

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Thanks for post

Post by Dragosvr92 »

What do you think about a Thanks option in posts, for 3.1.X ?
Previous user: TheKiller

naderman
Consultant

Re: Thanks for post

Post by naderman »

I'm not sure I would call it "Thanks" but a general "Like" "+1" "upvote" whatever feature seems to be rather common on the web these days. So I would appreciate a feature like that be included in phpBB by default.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yes, i did thought about calling it "Like" button, but i said that theres already a Thanks button, so i said i'd say it like that.
There are times i like a post, and just that. I dont feel like replying some silly thing, like adding a smiley. I tend to do that mostly, as i want to have it under/in "my posts" tab/page.

It would be nice to have a page of all posts you like, like youtube did not so long ago. You can play all your liked videos.
You should also have the permission to manage everything that can be managed about the likes, like unlike the post, and whatever you can think about....
Previous user: TheKiller

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

+1
use ajax system for like is better than.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

naderman wrote:I'm not sure I would call it "Thanks" but a general "Like" "+1" "upvote" whatever feature seems to be rather common on the web these days. So I would appreciate a feature like that be included in phpBB by default.
I'm surprised someone from the team is actually in favor of this. Most of the time the answer would be "this should be a hook/mod". Not that blaming anyone, I know the limitations the team have at the moment.

Personally, I think it could be part of the core, at least for the first post.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

There is a MOD in development that does this here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2147118

What I like most about this MOD, is their use of AJAX. Their AJAX modal windows should be considered by phpBB's developers as a model for how to implement AJAX in phpBB. Their Modals look like a fully integrated and native part of phpbb (prosilver) and not just some tacked on afterthought.

While their Rep system does a lot more than simply like/unlike topics, probably more than phpBB should do if it were a core feature, IMHO, their MOD is showing the best use of AJAX in phpBB I have seen yet.
Has an irascible disposition.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

It would be nice, but only if its a simple elegant system, not bloated like most mods are.

I think XenForo has perfect implementation of this feature: there is only "Like" link below posts, amount of "likes" user has received on user's profile and list of users who liked certain post. That's it. Nothing else. No useless stuff like ability to select +-X rating, no option to dislike post, no thread rankings, no medals/ranks/stars/whatever, no huge options panels. Such bloat should be left to addons.
Last edited by Arty on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "list of users who liked certain post" to basic functions list

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1 (Pun intended).

It makes sense to have some sort of liking system built-in and it can always be disabled if the board admin doesn't like it.

And I agree with Arty that XF's way of doing it seems nice and elegant. Not bloated but adds the basic feature.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Arty wrote:It would be nice, but only if its a simple elegant system, not bloated like most mods are.

I think XenForo has perfect implementation of this feature: there is only "Like" link below posts and amount of "likes" user has received on user's profile. That's it. Nothing else. No useless stuff like ability to select +-X rating, no option to dislike post, no thread rankings, no medals/ranks/stars/whatever, no huge options panels. Such bloat should be left to addons.
*Like*

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Arty wrote:It would be nice, but only if its a simple elegant system, not bloated like most mods are.

I think XenForo has perfect implementation of this feature: there is only "Like" link below posts and amount of "likes" user has received on user's profile. That's it. Nothing else. No useless stuff like ability to select +-X rating, no option to dislike post, no thread rankings, no medals/ranks/stars/whatever, no huge options panels. Such bloat should be left to addons.
+1 *like* :D