automod should probably be shipped with phpbb by default. ..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MartinTruckenbrodt

Re: automod should probably be shipped with phpbb by default

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello imkingdavid,
you want to phase about MODs?
Who will migrate the MODs to extensions?
Before this process will been started you should complete the core first. Then you and we will have less things to migrate and an effort immediately for the core and for the phpBB using community, too.

I will unsubscribe this topic now.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello imkingdavid,
you want to phase about MODs?
Who will migrate the MODs to extensions?
MOD authors?
MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Before this process will been started you should complete the core first. Then you and we will have less things to migrate and an effort immediately for the core and for the phpBB using community, too.
That is what we are doing right now... but we cannot know each and every event location that an extension could theoretically need, so we ask that people start looking at what they will need and then request event locations accordingly.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello imkingdavid,
okay, one last answer.

So, you force the MOD authors to rewrite their MODs. But have you asked MOD authors or all phpBB using webmasters which features should be included into Ascraeus core? When did you asked them? http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10916 http://blog.phpbb.com/tag/ascraeus/ :roll:

I know there has been a new way of more transparency started about two years ago. But the past has not been worked up.

If still it will be needed to write MODs or extensions to complete or to improve the basic and core features, which means to edit a lot of core code, then your events thing will fail with this situation or problem.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

imkingdavid wrote:
MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Before this process will been started you should complete the core first. Then you and we will have less things to migrate and an effort immediately for the core and for the phpBB using community, too.
That is what we are doing right now... but we cannot know each and every event location that an extension could theoretically need, so we ask that people start looking at what they will need and then request event locations accordingly.
Without an operational/usable system in at least the develop branch you can't expect MOD authors to start looking at it. At the moment there are bits and pieces all over the place and there isn't a single branch you just can install to start working with it.
First get the event system in its current state properly merged, then you can try to get authors involved. Not the other way around.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello imkingdavid,
okay, one last answer.

So, you force the MOD authors to rewrite their MODs. But have you asked MOD authors or all phpBB using webmasters which features should be included into Ascraeus core? When did you asked them? http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10916 http://blog.phpbb.com/tag/ascraeus/ :roll:

I know there has been a new way of more transparency started about two years ago. But the past has not been worked up.

If still it will be needed to write MODs or extensions to complete or to improve the basic and core features, which means to edit a lot of core code, then your events thing will fail with this situation or problem.

Bye Martin
This thread is a sticky at the top of the "[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion" forum: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2101621

This is a blog post: http://blog.phpbb.com/2010/08/20/help-u ... -3-1-easy/
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello callum,
hook !== feature

Bye Martin

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
Without an operational/usable system in at least the develop branch you can't expect MOD authors to start looking at it. At the moment there are bits and pieces all over the place and there isn't a single branch you just can install to start working with it.
First get the event system in its current state properly merged, then you can try to get authors involved. Not the other way around.
We (MOD Team) are working on documentation to make sure MOD authors have the resources necessary to start using event locations for their 3.1 MOD conversions so we don't end up with the same "mystery" situation we have with the current hooks system, which is a little hard to decipher.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello callum,
hook !== feature

Bye Martin
Oh... in that case, I find this place to be a good place to talk about features: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog