rtl base communities BBCode

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Erik Frèrejean

Re: rtl base communities BBCode

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Also, perhaps turn this into a revamp of bbcodes for multi-language support and also translate things like colour/quote (actually I've just realised typing this. It should say colour as phpBB is English(GB) by default.)
Translating them only confuses people even more. If I land on an English board I first have to figure out which English they use before I can post a BBCode? :|
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

BBCode is fairly standardised, keep it en-US.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

changing language may confuse experienced users in any language but changing structure of tags for rtl sounds great
phpBB persian international support : http://www.phpbbpersian.com
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

ali@php wrote:changing language may confuse experienced users in any language but changing structure of tags for rtl sounds great
+1

changing structure of tags for rtl

is it possible?
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

imkingdavid wrote: EDIT: I don't see how the screenshot could be the correct usage of bbcode. I understand the in rtl the tags have to go backwards, but you have random /'s in some places and you're missing /'s in other places. For instance, the URL bbcode has two opening tags but no closing tag.
That will link the text but yes place of color tag is wrong, It should come before underline tag.
press ctrl + right shift to change form direction and put this between any tag :

Code: Select all

تست
and test it yourself
MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
I think it's not a great thing. Just make to BBCode files and two set of BBCode parsing functions, both one for ltr and one for rtl. And then you need a connection between direction type of BBCode parsing, language pack and user language. I think that's all.

Or in other words: You need two engines insteat of one engine.

If their is support for multiple language packs then it should be full support, for the whole world! ;)

I will have a look to the code next week. Maybe I will add it to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2156113 ?

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
I think it's not a great thing. Just make to BBCode files and two set of BBCode parsing functions, both one for ltr and one for rtl. And then you need a connection between direction type of BBCode parsing, language pack and user language. I think that's all.

If their is support for multiple language packs then it should be full support, for the whole world! ;)

I will have a look to the code next week. Maybe I will add it to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2156113 ?

Bye Martin
we are talking about thousands of users not one or two, There are lot of languages which are rtl : persian,arabic,hebrew,urdu, etc therefore its valuable to include this feature.
also there are lot of mods which can be solution for us, Best of them are visual editors but we need (better to say our users need) to see this in default package otherwise they leave phpBB.
sorry I cant understand this :) :
BBCode supports all ltr languages, Am I wrong :?:
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,

Bye Martin
No need to add it to a mod, we want it in the core :-D
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Ali,
yes, I think phpBB supports all ltr languages by default.

@callum: I want it in the core, too. Please talk with the devs, not with me. Before I will do patches I want to know if the features will be included to the core. Then I'm a MOD author and a co-developer, too. ;)

@all: I thought about it again. There is no need for two engines. The data is stored in ltr to the database. I'm quite sure this can not been changed. So two engines are not possible to realize.
So just you have to create an extra BBCode bar. And the second thing is a feature which translates the BBCode tags for the texboxes (textareas) for posting and editing.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

ali@php as this is more a bug than a feature, (and as most agree here) please create a ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM