Default Style

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Brad.V

Default Style

Post by Brad.V »

Hey guys, the current default style prosilver is a nice, simple style. But I really think that phpBB should go more web 2.0. You could add some nice features like, tooltip, popup login, I don't know just make it look professional.

Thanks.
Last edited by bonelifer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Move to discussion and removed [RFC] tag as it really is more of a discussion topic than a RFC.

nextgen

Re: Default Style

Post by nextgen »

If we start to add features as you mention would not be a default style.
The idea of ​​prosilver is simple and malleable for designers of styles.
Although vistozo add a design would not hurt but not outside the system characteristics. :)
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Brad.V

Post by Brad.V »

Yes, I know that prosilver is the 'default' theme, but if you look, before subSilver was the default style, when you install a new copy of phpBB 3, subSilver is there, but not installed, that's what should happen to prosilver, it should be deactivated and replaced with a better, more professional theme.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Define professional. :?:
Brad.V wrote:Yes, I know that prosilver is the 'default' theme, but if you look, before subSilver was the default style, when you install a new copy of phpBB 3, subSilver is there, but not installed, that's what should happen to prosilver, it should be deactivated and replaced with a better, more professional theme.
Subsilver2 is there as alternate. The features you quoted, can be easily added even in phpBB 3.0.x, check out the StylesDB, some styles already have these features.

I think it's too early to talk about a new style.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

For reference, subsilver is possibly having support dropped in 3.2.

You can see it here.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

A facelist is most like needed for phpbb for 4.0 just by the nature of how far down the road it will be until it is released like when 2.0 came out we got prosilver
Vinny wrote: Define professional. :?:
The features you quoted, can be easily added even in phpBB 3.0.x, check out the StylesDB, some styles already have these features.
I think it's too early to talk about a new style.
Fail the styles DB is anything but a good source of professional styles

by professional I mean common coding practices, use of Ajax(not really a theme feature but phpbb issue), and professionaly design theme provided by acctual designer but code by someone who knows what their doing. Something to keep up with the improvements that the compettitors are doing.

obviously PHPBB is opensource but from a marketing standpoint we have failed by comparison
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

hanakin wrote:Fail the styles DB is anything but a good source of professional styles
[...]
and professionaly design theme provided by acctual designer but code by someone who knows what their doing. Something to keep up with the improvements that the compettitors are doing.
In a few lines you've managed to call all current styles authors incompetent and unprofessional. Good job! :roll:

I'm sorry but AJAX doesn't make a style "professional". It just makes it "flashy". And we certainly have styles authors that are professionals, know what they are doing, and have produced good quality styles based on what they have been given to work with.

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

DavidIQ wrote:In a few lines you've managed to call all current styles authors incompetent and unprofessional. Good job! :roll:

I'm sorry but AJAX doesn't make a style "professional". It just makes it "flashy". And we certainly have styles authors that are professionals, know what they are doing, and have produced good quality styles based on what they have been given to work with.
+1
hanakin wrote:Fail the styles DB is anything but a good source of professional styles
[...]

and professionaly design theme provided by acctual designer but code by someone who knows what their doing. Something to keep up with the improvements that the compettitors are doing
A professional style is not the one with ajax, jquery handle, professional style is one that is coded with web standards and designed as clean as possible. :)
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

/a3

Post by /a3 »

No doubt, a new style should be used for phpBB4. Or at least I think style changes should be made.
Brad.V wrote:You could add some nice features like, tooltip, popup login, I don't know just make it look professional.
ToolTips can be achieved by using title="". If you're referring to what Facebook does, I'm not 100% sure about it. My opinion is that if options are going to be hidden, it should be done so that users can easily find them, ie. not using the crappy images without text that FB uses at the top of their navigation.

And as I always point out, users should be able to use the full functionality of phpBB without JavaScript, ie. options that are normally "hidden" are revealed, even if this means a slightly more cluttered layout.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

/a3 wrote:And as I always point out, users should be able to use the full functionality of phpBB without JavaScript, ie. options that are normally "hidden" are revealed, even if this means a slightly more cluttered layout.
-1 for 4.0. By that time, JS will be standardised across all the major browsers, and the only people without JS will be the screen readers and the idiots with NoScript installed. It's important that the forums remain usable, but I wouldnt object at all if the minor features required JavaScript.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog