Signature Preview by Default

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
imkingdavid

Signature Preview by Default

Post by imkingdavid »

EDIT: To clarify, I have quoted a more detailed explanation of what I mean from a later post:
The preview button can (and should remain). The signature should, however, be displayed above the editor by default without having to press "preview". If a change is made in the editor, the user can click "Preview" to view the update (though there should be some indicator that what they are viewing is not live/changes aren't saved). If we can implement live preview and WYSIWYG for that editor as well, all the better, but that is not necessarily in the scope of this request.
(Original post)
In order to view your signature when editing it, you have to click preview. I propose that it should automatically be loaded when the signature edit page is loaded. This would save time and remove the need for a Preview button.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] Signature Preview by Default

Post by naderman »

Moving this to discussion, because it's not sufficiently precise for an RFC. Please explain how this would be implemented. I imagine via AJAX so the preview is updated while editing? That requires javascript, so we sill need the preview button as a fallback. It may be hidden by the same javascript handling the updating of the preview though.

imkingdavid

Re: Signature Preview by Default

Post by imkingdavid »

I hadn't really considered a live preview. I was more just thinking of removing the "preview" functionality by simply starting out with the signature display above the edit box. But a live preview would be a neat idea.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

imkingdavid wrote:In order to view your signature when editing it, you have to click preview. I propose that it should automatically be loaded when the signature edit page is loaded. This would save time and remove the need for a Preview button.
+1
naderman wrote:I imagine via AJAX so the preview is updated while editing?
I think that the button should be maintained and the preview is loaded with Ajax (clicking on the button).

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Ah I see what you mean now. It sounded like you were suggesting the removal of the current preview functionality. Wouldn't call this signature preview by default, but something like view old signature while editing ;-)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Ah I see what you mean now. It sounded like you were suggesting the removal of the current preview functionality. Wouldn't call this signature preview by default, but something like view old signature while editing ;-)
Well basically it removes the need for the preview because there would be no point at which the "preview" is not displayed, if you get what I mean...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Then how would you preview the currently edited signature?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

imkingdavid wrote:
naderman wrote:Ah I see what you mean now. It sounded like you were suggesting the removal of the current preview functionality. Wouldn't call this signature preview by default, but something like view old signature while editing ;-)
Well basically it removes the need for the preview because there would be no point at which the "preview" is not displayed, if you get what I mean...
But that would only work if you have some kind of live update function? Otherwise you still need the preview button to update that preview? Just because it's always displayed doesn't magically update it when you make changes?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Fair point. Yes, a live preview would be a good idea, but the preview button would otherwise still need to be kept. I didn't think that through. :lol:

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:Fair point. Yes, a live preview would be a good idea, but the preview button would otherwise still need to be kept. I didn't think that through. :lol:
It would need to be kept anyway, as a fallback (although I guess that it could be hidden using javascript).
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog