IE6 warning message

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: IE6 warning message

Post by bantu »

igorw wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:No problems for me with dropping support for IE6,
but I'm totally against the red bar, phpBB should not display messages about the browser, but the board only.
This.
+1

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

As the MOD author of IE6 No More, I know all about trying to help force out IE6.

Problem with this approach however, is that some users either just will not or can not get away from IE6.

So there is another approach we can take, where we do not force any users to upgrade their browser. Instead, we can prompt them with the option to install Google Chrome Frame.

Put this in the head:

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">
<!--[if lt IE 7 ]>
    <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/chrome-frame/1.0.3/CFInstall.min.js"></script>
    <script>window.attachEvent("onload",function(){CFInstall.check({mode:"overlay"})})</script>
<![endif]-->
More info: http://www.chromium.org/developers/how- ... ng-started

This will essentially make it so IE6 uses Chrome's rendering engine. Its safe to install and much less invasive than a full browser upgrade (which those corporate IT guys are always touting as their reasons for staying at IE6).
Has an irascible disposition.

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

I do not think we should advise to use a internet browser over another. I do not even think we should warn the user... Advanced users are already using a modern browser, and users who know nothing about computers do not even know which browser they use, for them, they use "internet" and they don't know about "Firefox", "Opera" or what. This will don't help to install a modern browser. And it's not our role to tell to the users to change their browser. If they have a problem with a phpBB board into their browser, they will ask because they will think it's a bug. It is at this point we should explain what's a browser and that the browser their use, IE6, is obsolete, advising them to download and use a modern browser of their choice.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

VSE+ wrote:Put this in the head:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">
<!--[if lt IE 7 ]>
    <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/chrome-frame/1.0.3/CFInstall.min.js"></script>
    <script>window.attachEvent("onload",function(){CFInstall.check({mode:"overlay"})})</script>
<![endif]-->
While I can understand the meta tag, I do not agree with the JavaScript inclusion. Not only is it using a remote script, it is not our job to tell the user to install stuff. You also need to stick to the coding guidelines:

window.attachEvent('onload', function() {
	CFInstall.check({
		mode: 'overlay'
	});
});
It would technically be more correct to use onload_functions, but it is horrible to use and this is exclusive to IE anyway, so .attachEvent works fine.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Oleg wrote:Ideally, ie6 should be treated as any other browser that does not support whatever features we use via graceful degradation. That is, basic functionality should still work (same as if I was using lynx or links) but fancy stuff would be missing.
+1
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer