Request for better control of URL parsing

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
tomdkat2

Request for better control of URL parsing

Post by tomdkat2 »

One feature I think would make a great addition to phpBB is the ability to disable automatic parsing of URLs (magic links) on a per forum basis. I've been searching for ways to accomplish this in phpBB 3.0.x and this appears to be the best approach so far:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=589332

Basically, changing this code inincludes/message_parser.php :

Code: Select all

$this->message = make_clickable($this->message, $server_url);
to remove the call to "make_clickable()". The issue is I, and at least one other forum poster, would like to be able to do this on a per-forum basis. On my forum, I have private areas only members can see and some public areas everyone can see. In the public areas, I have one area that is open for anyone to post in, so forum members who have problems logging in can post support requests and I can address their issues and get them logged in to the member's area again.

Having the ability to disable automatic URL parsing on a per-forum basis would make my job easier since I can better control the spam being posted. Additionally, having the ability to limit URL posting to BBCode only, would be great and on a per-forum basis. So, if a member wants to post a link to a site, they must use the BBCode [url] tag. If they post URL without the [url] tag, the URL appears as plain text, and not a hyperlink, if this "automatic URL parsing" feature is disabled for that particular forum.

Does anyone else think this would be a good addition to phpBB?

Thanks!

Peace...