Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpBB

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MGadAllah

Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpBB

Post by MGadAllah »

Was thinking about having a default built-in reputation system with phpBB3 core files ... What do you think :?:

My point that it is very helpful to be used with members or posts as it reflect the value added with new topics/replies or what members participate with in the board.

I am that kind of people who do not like to add any MODs and always use the default package to avoid any later on problems when updating the software.
Hope to see this take a place in the near future, but how to know if there is a major demand for a feature or a request ? is it a poll taking a place or there is another way phpBB team know about it, like a close discussion?
For example I remember the debates about the quick reply add-on for the default package and it was really refused from the team and by time things changed for the better (always been always will).

may some one from developer team may participate and share with us how things may go!?

DeadEye686

Re: Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpB

Post by DeadEye686 »

This will never happen. On top of the lack of desire of the dev team to have feature creep, there's a distinct difference between reputation systems and quick reply. QR is incredibly simple — there's pretty much only a single way to do it, so a core implementation can satisfy almost everyone.

Reputation systems, in contrast, are incredibly complex. There are hundreds of different ways you can implement them, and each way could be a totally correct, totally legitimate avenue for one site. But it will be absolutely impossible to implement a generic reputation system that does what every administrator will want — and, of course, in addition to that, the vast majority of phpBB installations are far too small to actually warrant a reputation system.

Thankfully, "modding" as we know it will be significantly better from 3.1 on, and a legitimate hook architecture will make plug-ins modular and very easy to manage (and not interfere with core updates). You'll have tons of options for drop-in reputation systems once 3.1 is ready.
Last edited by DeadEye686 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks for your reply.
But what about phpBB developer team? any one of them may tell us any input for this regard.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Either way it's too late for 3.1

igorw

Post by igorw »

Moved from 3.1 discussion to 3.2 discussion.

Ger

Post by Ger »

I agree with Deadeye on this. While reputation systems are widely used, there are at least as much forums that don't use them as there are forums that do use them. Of course I have no data to support this, but this is based on the hundreds of forums that I've supported in the past years.

Since phpBB is built as an lightweight forum system, I think there shouldn't be too much features built in the core. PhpBB shouldn't make the same misstake that -for instance- IPB has made. IPB tries to be / have almost everything, and therefore it's become both sluggish and too complex for a majoriy of users.
Any extra features not needed for core functionallity shouldn't be in the core, but simply be available as a hook or otherwise a MOD. Forum admins who need these functions can easily download such a hook and plug it in the core. That way phpBB will be kept clean and simple.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

igorw wrote:Moved from 3.1 discussion to 3.2 discussion.
Hope to find it takes its place in discussions queue ;)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Reputation systems do have issues, mainly with abusing and complaints to forum admins about -rep.

If this was thought about I think it would more likely and a better system be a thanks for posts system, where you can thank a user's posts and it says how many times that user has been thanked and how many times they have thanked. Then you don't have issues with -rep etc.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Reputation systems do have issues, mainly with abusing and complaints to forum admins about -rep.

If this was thought about I think it would more likely and a better system be a thanks for posts system, where you can thank a user's posts and it says how many times that user has been thanked and how many times they have thanked. Then you don't have issues with -rep etc.
-1 rep point , simply to point your point.. :d

but I agree, simple thanks would be nice, but then again I really do not care much about such systems..
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

I see that feature at many boards and I never use that feature. Repuptation is one of the useless things that many boards have. And that thanks mod is just eye candy and for the ego of the person who made the post. Nothing more.