[RFC] Topic based permission system

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
shogun_panda

[RFC] Topic based permission system

Post by shogun_panda »

Hi!
What about an additional permission system which add a supplementary permission system on topic level to user and group?
Obviously, at beginning there aren't permission at all. If an admin wants, he can add a permission for a topic.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] Topic based permission system

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

There's not really enough for an RFC here, so I'll move to the discussion forum.

I'm not certain what you mean. You want a complete set of permissions for each user for each topic on the board?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

You want to be able to make permissions for each topic so the topic could be moderators and admins only view in a public forum?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

That sounds complicated.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Agreed. If this was done and incorrectly formatted a member could change the permissions of a topic to lock out an admin/moderator from viewing the topic.

I'm sure there was a similar topic on A51 somewhere, might be phpBB4 Discussion or RFC.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

I don't see any use in this as of now. Please explain in detail what you want to achieve.

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

Despite topic-caster do not specified in details what he wants, but if for its implementation not enough one-two additional fields in topics - it is probably bad idea. If it will use current permission system(i.e. user_permissions field) it will probably blow database size, without any reasonable benefits(and it is problem for newly created forums, which as a rule started on free of charge, space-limited hosting services).
And I do not see any reason to limit access to or hide topics. If user wants to have ability to chat with closed group of users, he should use more suitable services for it(IM, IRC, blogs, e-mail, or at least PMs). Forums are not intended for such usage, IMO.

shogun_panda

Post by shogun_panda »

I'm using phpBB for kind of RPG.
Obviously, there are private forum in which only certain user groups can access.
But what I need is a forum in which users can see only topic they have permissions for. And I need this at user level and topic level.
Let's give an example.
Forum has 4 topics: A, B, C, D. What I want is that user U1 can view and access ONLY topic A & B. User U2 must, instead only view and access topic C & D.
It is more clear now?

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

What happens if topic "E" gets created? Does the TS decide who can see the topic, or does an admin has to come in and approve it and set the permissions? This sounds more like a MOD to me than something that is useful for the community at large, I don't think there will be much use of such a function besides some very specific boards.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

Avdon

Post by Avdon »

at beginning there aren't permission at all. If an admin wants, he can add a permission for a topic.
I think it's a very good idea. With the long experience I have in moderating discussion forums, I can say: whenever some users start to make problems in a discussion topic, even if the moderator trys to fix that (warn them, or leave notes..etc), the users tend to continue making problems if the moderator doesn't close the topic (closing the topic= ending the discussion, and that isn't a solution!). And if the moderator ban those users, or some of them, this look just "too much". So banning those users only from this topic would be the best thing to do if it's an available choice.
Providing the best tools and possibilties for discussion and moderating, should be, in my opinion, in the heart of "phpbb development" goals, because internet discussions is phpbb's specialty.
I don't think "ban user from this topic" is very complex.
I'm also thinking about other discussion forum possibilty which I find very interesting:
A forum where TS can set specific rules for his topic, like:
- The Max posts for a single user is x posts.
- Topic end time.
...etc
and participating in his topic needs his approvement (only once), maybe by sending him participating request tickets.