WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think some of you are missing something here.

when you are using a wysiwyg editor, you still have to format your text etc. by clicking on the format buttons just like you do for bbcode.
It doesn't read your mind and create the formatting for you.
it will offer you many more possibilities in formatting etc. but it won't do it for you.

also, to me this is like the discussion about allowing html in posts.

this is a bulletin board, you post text messages. If you want to create a web page, create a web page and link to it from your text based post.

I know I will probably get slammed for that but hey.......

robert

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:this is a bulletin board, you post text messages. If you want to create a web page, create a web page and link to it from your text based post.
Quoted for agreement.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:this is a bulletin board, you post text messages. If you want to create a web page, create a web page and link to it from your text based post.
Quoted for agreement.
+1

IMHO phpbb do not need a WYSIWYG editor,
As an example, take all post from all those user that want it, look at it, most of them event don't use any bbcode on his post, so why request something that is not used ?
QA Team Member - I don't support by PM,
Customize forums, install Skins/Mods ! Sendme a PM | Don't forget to visit my other mods
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

Ger

Post by Ger »

Personally, I prefer typing BBcode than using a WYSIWYG editor. It goes faster for me. ;)

On the other hand: I understand the wish for it from a newby point of view. For instance on a forum of mine where there are many users with almost no knowledge about code whatsoever, they simply don't use formatting since they don't know how. For that kind of people a WYSIWYG editor would be great.
Besides that, there's the point of usebillity. I think it's not very user-frindly to require knowledge of some code or extra mouseclicks to create a nice formatted message. The argument about "it's a forum, not a website" is wrong IMHO; there are boards out there wich have many large and complex messages. One forum of mine, about science ("wetenschapsforum" or translated "science forum") has many messages where complex theories are explained. Easy formatting is very welcome there. We would like to make that formatting as easy as possible since we'd rather see the users gain scientific knowledge than learning some BBcode. For now there is no good WYSIWYG editor for that board (IPB, not phpBB) since it would break on stuff like LaTeX, WebGraph of chemical formulas.

And that's the main issue for me this moment: With my current knowledge it's impossible to create a descent WYSIWYG editor wich copes like all kind of custom BBcode, especially server sided BBcodes. Perhaps some kind of AJAX thingy can handle that, but my expierence with AJAX is very little.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

I think a wysiwygg editor is just a real-time presentation of what you type and format. I think it wouldn't be that hard (sorry I'm no coder) if you do the same thing with the bbcode buttons..
with the BBcode buttons it isn't a fancy button with a nice image. It's just a text button, it does the same thing as a wysiwyg editor but the main difference is that it doesn't show your formatting immediately.. If phpBB can do the real-time formatting when using bbcode i think loads of ppl are already satisfied, but that's my opinion after reading some of these posts.. It's just that ppl want to see in real-time the formatting.. it's not the fancy bar of buttons...
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Ger

Post by Ger »

The thing is: fancy buttons are easy. Real time formatting with server sided scripts isn't. ;)
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

Ger wrote:The thing is: fancy buttons are easy. Real time formatting with server sided scripts isn't. ;)
Is not perfect, but does the work : WYSIWYM
Customize forums, install Skins/Mods ! Sendme a PM | Don't forget to visit my other mods

Ger

Post by Ger »

Not intending on an offtopic discussion, but does that handle server sided BBcodes? As I mentioned before, we have some stuff like LaTeX which is parsed server sided.

leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

Ger wrote:Not intending on an offtopic discussion, but does that handle server sided BBcodes? As I mentioned before, we have some stuff like LaTeX which is parsed server sided.
No it doesn't, it's purely JavaScript ( no Ajax )

ameisez

Post by ameisez »

The thing with WYSIWYG is not for us (admins and moderators and advance users) it's for our members. Members who are more oriented with WYSIWYG editors. Personally i don't need WYSIWYG for myself. But when i am receiving complaints about the editor from members, that is when the needs arise.