HTTP Messages

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
onehundredandtwo

HTTP Messages

Post by onehundredandtwo »

I remember someone else mentioning this some time ago, but I would like to mention it here, since it seems appropiate mentioning it here. At the moment, phpBB will always send HTTP/1.1 200 OK, even if a 404, 503, 401 or 500 would be more appropiate. These errors are important for bots as well as user-agents to understand the request and what to do with it.

Code: Select all

Errors such as [i]The selected forum does not exist[/i] and [i]The selected topic does not exist[/i] should send a 404 Not Found error.

If the board is disabled, all phpBB related pages should send a 503 Service Unavailable error.

If the user tries to access a forum he/she is not allowed to access (eg. incorrect password, incorrect permissions) then a 401 Unauthorized error should be sent.

If phpBB gets a E_USER_ERROR then phpBB should send a 500 Internal Server Error.
Feedback welcome. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

naderman
Consultant

Re: HTTP Messages

Post by naderman »

Sounds very reasonable. Maybe you can add it on the wiki to the phpBB4 section somewhere?

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Not so sure if this is an issue anymore, but please keep in mind: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/34945#post158995

onehundredandtwo

bantu wrote:Not so sure if this is an issue anymore, but please keep in mind: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/34945#post158995
I will do some more research on that, however I don't believe this applies to 500 Internal Server Error and 503 Service Unavailable, since these often apply to the entire board.

onehundredandtwo

I've looked all over the internet and I've asked at the Google Webmaster Forum, and apparently using 404 errors on dymanic URLs is fine. I might try testing on a site to see what happens, but from what I can see there isn't really a problem.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

bantu wrote:Not so sure if this is an issue anymore, but please keep in mind: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/34945#post158995
The RFC's would be the place to consult.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Probably should throw a 401 on unauthorized ACP access as well, I'd guess.