LDAP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bolverk
I've been banned

LDAP

Post by bolverk »

LDAP group support, should allow synchronising of phpBB groups with LDAP
Can you elaborate on what you meant here?

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: LDAP

Post by bantu »

Currently (3.0.x) phpBB is only able to read from LDAP and it only reads data for user accounts. Groups still have to be maintained in the phpBB database itself. phpBB will currently also not create an entry in the LDAP when someone registers.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Yes I am aware of the current status quo. :P What I want to know is what did naderman mean by "should allow synchronising of phpBB groups with LDAP ", synchronize how, one way, two way? <-please no :)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Both depending on what the admin wants.

Samd42

Post by Samd42 »

LDAP Authentication is currently only one-way (read only)? That is too bad.

Another question, related to LDAP authentication: let's say that I wish to integration phpBB into larger existing site. The other website also has LDAP authentication. That allows me to use the same username/password for everything. Great. But what about the case where the user logs into phpBB, and then navigates onto the rest of the website. Or, the user first logs onto the website, and then navigates onto the phpBB. Either way - the point is that the PHP SESSION variables are likely going to be set up differently, and the user is going to have to log in TWICE. Any feedback on how to handle this case? Have I made the scenario clear? What you want is a clear and easy way to have single-sign-on. Maybe you already have it somewhere? I am new here.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

This forum is about phpBB4 planning and development. If you are talking about phpBB3 you can find information on authentication plugins here: http://wiki.phpbb.com/Authentication_plugins. You probably want to add autologin_method und validate_session_method functions to LDAP as described in that article.