Greetings from CKeditor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
fredck

Greetings from CKeditor

Post by fredck »

Hi there,

I'm Frederico Caldeira Knabben, Project Manager for FCKeditor.

I would like to present some things we have worked on last year, and talk about possible cooperation between our dev teams, keeping in mind the current developments of our Open Development Effort, the next generation of FCKeditor.

It would be nice to talk with you guys about our intentions and propositions. A phone call would help it a lot, at least for a first presentation of it (PM in that case). Otherwise, please point me to the right directions to expose our ideas to you.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Fred
Last edited by DavidIQ on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to reflect current version name (CKEditor as opposed to FCKEditor)
Frederico Caldeira Knabben
CEO, CKSource

naderman
Consultant

Re: Greetings from FCKeditor

Post by naderman »

That looks interesting. We've had a Community Coding Project that was supposed to produce a WYSIWYG editor for phpBB before but that wasn't too successful. It's just important to us that the WYSIWYG editor produces BBCode (which it then renders to make it visible for the user) and not HTML. But from what I see that's how the example works :) Send me a PM or contact me via any of the IMs I specified in my profile and we can discuss this further.

fredck

Post by fredck »

Thanks naderman. I've just sent you a PM.

Let's keep in touch now!
CEO, CKSource

AndyW-inuk

Post by AndyW-inuk »

Hi I posted the following over on the phpBB3 + FCKeditor forum...
Looks great but is this project still ongoing?............Admin hasn't logged onto the forum since May 2008 (!) and phpbb.com appears to have lost interest as well (last visit Apr 2008)

........are bugs being sorted? I'd be interested in feedback from people who've installed and are using this MOD on their phpBB forums
Seems to function well here but shouldn't the Style dropdown list Font types?

How does [Digg] and [animation] work?

[youtobe] ....bit of a typo there :lol:

Thanks
Andy
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
http://www.cvam-advanced-riders.co.uk
....any comments?
Thanks

PS: Anyone let me know how to make links (url) in phpBB forum posts to open in a new window?

fredck

Post by fredck »

Hi Andy. The phpBB3+FCKeditor is a prototype we have built as a prove of concept for this integration. We are not working on it right now, as we have much greater plans for it.

Actually, you can't see much communication here regarding the project because we are on hold for it. We are working right now on CKEditor 3.0, which will be the editor to be used by phpBB. As soon as we have a full working prototype of it, we'll then start working together for its integration. We still have a couple of months for it to happen.
CEO, CKSource

AndyW-inuk

Post by AndyW-inuk »

Thanks for that.........a shame as we really want (need - quite a lot of older users not getting on with the BB code!) to do something asap.

We've looked at HotEditor WYSIWYG for phpBB3 but I'd much rather go for your much more prefessional looking interface/gui and have experience of FCKeditor which I use to edit the content on the main website.
http://www.cvam-advanced-riders.co.uk

Anyone suggest alternatives please?

fredck

Post by fredck »

Hi All,

Let me paste here the message I've just posted in the CKEditor forums:
The fact is that it has been difficult for us to allocate a developer for this specific project. We're still very interested on support it though, but I think a different strategy must be taken.

Just like proposed since the beginning, I think the phpBB team should be the responsible for developing this feature into phpBB. For that, you guys should point a lead developer for it, with good JavaScript experience. This person (or team) will them become your reference for this, being also the responsible for maintaining the feature in the future.

From our side, what we can offer is support for your team. We could even participate on initial discussions, eventually giving you some hints on the implementation strategy, development and optimization.

So, go ahead starting this, and feel free to keep us involved when needed.
I hope you guys will get involved on this.

Fred
CEO, CKSource

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I've just recently (2 weeks ago) finished integrating CKEditor into the system we design at my job IRL so I know plenty about it and it's API. I don't think this would be too much of a problem. Don't think this will make the cut for 3.1 but perhaps 3.2 if the development team decides that a WYSIWYG editor should be in the core. I'll move this so it gets the proper attention.

igorw

Re: Greetings from CKeditor

Post by igorw »

I had proposed this for phpBB 3.1, and would love to see it for 3.2.

brunoais

Re: Greetings from CKeditor

Post by brunoais »

I don't think this will go forward.
See:
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 79#p244679