Default Editor - BBCode Shortcuts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
ToonArmy

Re: Default Editor - BBCode Shortcuts

Post by ToonArmy »

AmigoJack wrote:phpBB already supports accelerator keys: with MSIE or FFOX on Windows you can hit ALT+B for clicking the Bold-button. With OPER it's not that easy (SHIFT+ESC, then press the key of choice) unless you use an extension which enables you to do the same with ALT+SHIFT+B. While "accelerator keys" is the Win32 API term, HTML entitles this as "access keys": http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/f ... #h-17.11.2 - see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key

So I see no reason why to re-invent something which every browser already supports.
We're talking about using the well known Ctrl based shortcuts rather than more obscure browser specific access key modifiers, which vary by browser and architecture.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Well-known is subjective.
  • MS Word 2000 on Windows is localized and I have to press CTRL+SHIFT+F to get bold text. I can verify this for all Office programs up until version 2003.
  • Jelsoft vB uses CTRL+B regardless of any chosen language. Which collides with what my browser already does for CTRL+B.
I'm not talking about localizing the BBCode - but localizing the buttons in the editor would make more sense in my eyes than to make an even stronger use of english-optimized shortcuts (or access keys) for a feature which half of the people might see as a help and others might facepalm it...

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I have been warming up to this idea since my first post in this topic. When the post editor is focused I think overriding Ctrl-B, etc. is quite reasonable.

Elroy

Post by Elroy »

Personally, I participate on several programming forums (none using phpBB) and they all support CTRL+B, CTRL+I, & CTRL+U for bold, italic, & underline, respectively.

I've recently started hosting a camping forum, and was HIGHLY disappointed that phpBB doesn't support this.

This debate about whether or not to override the browser's hotkeys is nonsense. If you're in an editable textbox, there's no reason whatsoever that you shouldn't override these.

I've looked into just doing it myself, but PHP isn't one of my strong suits. I'll eventually do it, but it'd sure be nice if there was just a phpBB extension/modification/add-in to just get it done!

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

you are bumping an over 10 year old discussion 🙃. While I do not disagree with you keep that in mind when reading it as it's 100% irrelevant given its age. The bigger issue here is that we need to upgrade our editor to be a more robust and modern library which would already include this. Its already on the todo list but not currently a high priority at the moment.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image