phpBB 4.0

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
creativecosmos

phpBB 4.0

Post by creativecosmos »

There is only one hope for the spambot situation and I hope that is what the programmers are doing while phpBB.com is down. We need phpBB 4.0.

I searched through the whole thread on this issue and to sum up. The bots broke the code. Everybody is having big problems. All the 'solutions' do not work and are a pain to even try. This endangers the whole phpBB forum mechanism for the world wide web. Little patches aren't going to cut it. Much important information is in danger of being removed from the world. I know I am getting frustrated and am not going to just pitter around with lame patches that don't work. Give us a new system that is easy and works.

Thank you.

:cry:

oddfish

Re: phpBB 4.0

Post by oddfish »

ouch, but I'll take the bait.

there are many simple solutions for admin to make good anything not by default in phpbb3 - a captcha that lasted very well I must add. A change in 3.0.5 might help (and by testing, to date, is holding it's own). If you are having problems with it, I can only suggest sharing it so support might possibly give a some instructions.

it's always easy to bulge frustrations at any development. free ones seem to get that more, well, since it is free I 'spose. :roll:

remember - bots are smart for their purpose - that does not make them intelligent.

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

What would this "phpBB4" introduce against bots that phpBB3 /3.2 would not be capable of doing?
Why do you need a major release to break again all backwards compatibility just to stop spammers?

:)

You say we need phpBB4, but offer no solution against the spammers.

a_o_c

Post by a_o_c »

creativecosmos wrote:There is only one hope for the spambot situation and I hope that is what the programmers are doing while phpBB.com is down. We need phpBB 4.0
creativecosmos wrote:All the 'solutions' do not work and are a pain to even try. This endangers the whole phpBB forum mechanism for the world wide web. Little patches aren't going to cut it. Much important information is in danger of being removed from the world.
ill bite too. creativecosmos, i have a (customized) MOD installed on my board. since i started using it, i have not had one single bot register. just beacause the phpbb3 captcha has been broken doesnt mean "zomg, time for a new version". like lurttinen said, what would this phpbb4 introduce against bots that phpbb3 / 3.2 would not be capable of doing?

creativecosmos

Post by creativecosmos »

hi folks.

let me say that first i do appreciate the work of everyone on 3.0 and do acknowledge its free and my thanks.
read through the sticky on the spam bots and you'll see it ain't just me.
its just about everyone having major problems.

i was ready to give up php when they came out with 3.0.
then i was very happy with 3.0.
ready to give up again.

by the way, phpBB.com ain't there right now.
God help us with 4.0!!!!!
you other folks having issues....a little help here...

CC

oXo

Post by oXo »

The question is this. After they installed the Anti-Spam MOD... Did they create API under the BOT Scout Settings & Stop Forum Spam Settings to ensure that the script won’t fail & properly working? I haven't seen people asking about this API & how powerful it is in order to protect your forum.
Why need new phpBB4 if there’s another way to fix it?

creativecosmos

Post by creativecosmos »

oXo wrote: Why need new phpBB4 if there’s another way to fix it?
I can go along with it if there is a quick click auto load MOD that everybody will easily be able to install.
Not, "Hunt this down in left field, scratch behind the ear, do a little jig."
Only to find someone reply that they did all that and it didn't work.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

oXo

Post by oXo »

Have you read this thread?

Code: Select all

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=30531
In that thread you can get the MOD on that site.

http://www.startrekguide.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=9177
After you install it. Don’t forget to click the link say API and it will redirect you into this

http://botscout.com/getkey.htm
And this:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/apis
After you get the code for those 2 sites... you need to supply that in the appropriate box then tell us if that will solve your problem.

creativecosmos

Post by creativecosmos »

:o