SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
hikernick

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by hikernick »

I think what's not terribly obvious, unless you've installed MODs before, is that the .xml files within the MOD ARE the instructions. Until you know that, it looks like just a bunch of files, with no help.

Sjeng, just find ALL the .xml files within the MOD, and double click them to open them in your browser. You'll find step by step instructions inside.

I think maybe MODs could contain a 2 line README file with the above in it, for people who've never seen a mod before. I think there are supposed to be instructions on the main phpbb site, but of course, that's not available at present.

Sjeng

Post by Sjeng »

Ah okay, I see. Thanks! well, I opened the first XML file, and I backed up the files I need to mod.
So far so good.
Now the first box says SQL... What am I supposed to do from there?
I understand the editing of the php files, with the add lines after some other line. Butt hat SQL thing is unclear... :?:

James N

Post by James N »

Sjeng wrote: I understand the editing of the php files, with the add lines after some other line. Butt hat SQL thing is unclear... :?:
http://www.phpbbcom.phpbbservice.nl/kb/ ... admin.html

azetras

Post by azetras »

Sjeng wrote:Ah okay, I see. Thanks! well, I opened the first XML file, and I backed up the files I need to mod.
So far so good.
Now the first box says SQL... What am I supposed to do from there?
I understand the editing of the php files, with the add lines after some other line. Butt hat SQL thing is unclear... :?:
Check this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=31002

BTW After cleaning the cache the question shows up in the registration form but even though I answer it it still tells me to answer the question. There are also two modx.prosilver.en fiels, what should I do with them ?

Sjeng

Post by Sjeng »

hmmm... Another thing: opening the php and html files in notepad gives me a jumble of lines with little squares as enters... Kinda annoying. Is there some better way to edit these files? with a simple freeware program preferably?

NoDeity

Post by NoDeity »

Sjeng wrote:hmmm... Another thing: opening the php and html files in notepad gives me a jumble of lines with little squares as enters... Kinda annoying. Is there some better way to edit these files? with a simple freeware program preferably?
There are lots of them. I'm partial to AceHTML Freeware: http://software.visicommedia.com/en/pro ... lfreeware/

hikernick

Post by hikernick »

Sjeng wrote:hmmm... Another thing: opening the php and html files in notepad gives me a jumble of lines with little squares as enters... Kinda annoying. Is there some better way to edit these files? with a simple freeware program preferably?
When you ftp them to and from your website, make sure you use Ascii mode, that will convert the little black boxes (Linefeed characters) to DOS Linefeed/Carriagereturn combinations, which is what Notepad expects.

Otherwise use a more advanced editor like Textpad

trad_admin_supp

Post by trad_admin_supp »

Hi,

I can´t find this
Have you enabled CAPTCHA? You can enable it through the ACP > General > CAPTCHA Settings and make more foreground / background noise.
under General.
Where do I find it?

And how do I change the config.php accordning to this: Your config file (config.php) is currently world-writable. We strongly encourage you to change the permissions to 640 or at least to 644 (for example: chmod 640 config.php).

Please help!

Thanks!
A-B

Sorry!

Now I have found it, but under General/Visual confirmation settings.

A-B

rhinton

Post by rhinton »

open with wordpad. it'll be correct.

Nightmusic

Post by Nightmusic »

I've followed the directions for this...

Knowledge Base - Custom Profile Fields as an Anti-Spammer Tool

and set up custom profile fields.

How do I make them appear as part of the registration questionaire?

The directions seem to leave this step out.

Thanks