SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
tffnguy

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by tffnguy »

CareersNG wrote:i think we are horridly thinking of installing MODs as a solution to this problem.
Whereas the simple custom profile fields that comes with phpBB3 by default is enough to solve this SPAM registration problems. We only need to use this future more intelligently.
SPAM has stopped on my forum even with the simplest CAPTCHA and without requiring user registration confirmation.
SPAM bots cant register anymore for more than 4days now.
The solution is to create a unique question in your costume profile field that BOts cannot solve and human would solve easily.
i wouldnt post the idea i used here, but if you need tips you can send me a PM.

Regards to all.
Me thinks you are right. I did the same thing and spam registrations stopped dead after I did it. No MODs added and no problems trying to install them I say use mods for what they are good for and use the custom profile fields to take care of the spam bots. However, the custom profile function could be upgrades in a future version to be a lot easier to use for spam control.
Plano, Texas

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

As I've said, that is not a solution to stopping spam.

If you want to stop spam, then fix the problem, do not allow users to post spam messages. Anyone posting WoW gold, power leveling, OEM software, etc is obviously doing it to advertise when they have just registered.

azetras

Post by azetras »

hikernick wrote: The MOD contains a "templates" subfolder. Within there are two further subfolders named after the two default styles in phpbb. In each one of those is a .xml file. Double-click it and follow the instructions. This patches the user interface side of the BB - the edits you did earlier patched the back end. When you've done those edits, do the refresh styles I mentioned earlier.

Scary, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about ... :oops:
Great :) It worked! now it asks me the question but when I answer it won't accept, it still tells me to answer the question :) There are also two modx.prosilver.en fiels, what should I do with them ?

e-lemon-ator

Post by e-lemon-ator »

Having just updated from 3.01 to 3.04 and banning the ISPs plus emails that have been listed above (page 7), I've not had a single spammer for 24 hours. Over the weekend (the worse times) I was getting over 50 a day.

Capcha setting for background noise for x and y axis are set at 25 with foreground noise switched on.

If spammers come back I'll add the mod. I know that by banning ISP I could be denying genuine posters, but for now I'll live with it.

Denio

Post by Denio »

James N wrote:Fantasico installs are not supported here as they have altered the code.

to make your board up to date, and fix the problems you are having do the following

1) save your config.php file HU language pack, and dirtyboard style to your PC to keep it safe

2) Download the complete file package from here

3) DELETE the config.php and images directory from the download

4) upload everything else to your webspace overwriting whats already there (making sure not to lose what you saved in step 2, or re upload if needed)

5) go to http://www.yourforum.com/install/database_update.php

6) delete the install directory

Please note. If you have any MODs installed, they will be overwritten and you will need to do the edits again

If you are still having problems after doing this, please start a new topic
IT WORX! Now I have enable queue posts and everything works fine, great! Thank you so much James! If { ADM_LOGOUT } and { BAN_USER } and such apperars, it means that my language file is outdated? Anyway, now I can't reach phpbb.com/languages/ for that.

James N

Post by James N »

Denio wrote:
IT WORX! Now I have enable queue posts and everything works fine, great! Thank you so much James! If { ADM_LOGOUT } and { BAN_USER } and such apperars, it means that my language file is outdated? Anyway, now I can't reach phpbb.com/languages/ for that.
Glad you got it working OK.

Yes, if you get code where text should be, it means that your language pack is missing an entry of two.

rhinton

Post by rhinton »

muggins wrote:I don't remember if this mod has been validated, but I use it to good effect:
AntiBotQuestion.zip
I get a few stupids who try anyway, but none have gotten through yet. ;)

And now I feel stupid. The mod I listed here is listed in the 'first post'... :oops:
this has been the best one i've used. back when the first oen was developed for phpBB2, it immediately stopped the spambots. i got hit last week like eveyone else. put this one in and no more.

Sjeng

Post by Sjeng »

Could anyone also post a step by step installation guide for this AntoBotQuestion mod?
I had it on phpbb2, and it worked perfectly. But I don't know how to install it. I'm terrible at this sort of stuff, so I need a guide for dummies :oops:
I just need 1 question at the registration form to stop bots, with a question + answer I can fill in myself (something related to the board itself, so only real people who want to join will know, and I know just the question).

Thanks!

rhinton

Post by rhinton »

it comes with instructions. do the edits, even the ones in the templates folder. makes sure you refresh the templates and purge the cache. then enable the antibot question and make up a question.

Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

bsmither wrote:As I asserted earlier, my SWAG is that someone downloaded a batch of domain names from the DNS system, posted that list for the benefit of spammers on some other site, of which Google just happened to index. Google did not have to come to my site. Google indexed that other site with the list on it. That's my SWAG.
The only way to get a domain name from DNS is if you define an inaddr.arpa record for the IP address.

So, all they have to do is probe your IP address randomly to see if there is a web server there. If they find one, even one that refuses them, they can go on and check the inaddr.arpa record for the IP address. That will give them the domain name, and then they can probe you with that domain name. They do not need Google for it.

P.S. I do not know what a SWAG is.