Update from 3.01 to 3.04?

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
todd1803

Update from 3.01 to 3.04?

Post by todd1803 »

I'm behind on updating my board, and have some general issues which keep the ACP from working properly. Not sure if I can update directly to 3.04, or if I should re-install the whole thing, in hopes of fixing the other issues.

The following is the basic SRT
Your board's URL: http://warcrc.org/phpBB/index.php
Version of phpBB3: 3.01
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? no change since update from 2.**
If update, what package(s) did you use? n/a
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? no
MODs you have installed: none
When the problem started: Has been problematic since upgrade from 2.
Your level of expertise (be honest): Usually feel like I'm in over my head

Here are the issues I've had
- flood emails on board notifications to users. Made the problem go away by turning off board emails.
- Overwhelming amount of cashe files, to the point the clear function times out, and I've gotten a complaint from my host.
- Other ACP function sometimes take forever or time out. I've assumed it's related to the cashe overload, but don't know.

I'm obviously behind on updates. Can I update straight to 3.04, or do I need to go in steps, first to .02, then .03, and finally to .04? Any chance the update will fix my problems, or do I need to just re-install the latest version?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Update from 3.01 to 3.04?

Post by darcie »

Your cache and email issue sound to me as if the /cache directory has the wrong permissions set on it. This should have been set as 777 when you did the install.
todd1803 wrote:I'm obviously behind on updates. Can I update straight to 3.04, or do I need to go in steps, first to .02, then .03, and finally to .04? Any chance the update will fix my problems, or do I need to just re-install the latest version?
You will have to go in two steps: 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, then 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 of you would like to use the Automatic Update method. Alternately, you can go straight to 3.0.4 by downloading the full package. Since you have no MODs, this would be a simple way. You would only have to redo the logo you added to the style. I can elaborate on how to complete each method if you would like.

edit: I'm having problems locating the Auto 3.0.2 to 3.0.4... can currently only find each individual step. All are downloadable at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=194469

todd1803

Post by todd1803 »

So if I download and reinstall the whole package, will I get the option to reset the permissions for the directory?

How do I access the permissions otherwise?

Thanks!

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

These permissions are those you set within your ftp client. It is called chmod, and is possible only with linux type servers. If you're on windows, it wouldn't apply, but it really sounds as if this is the issue. How you set them will depend on what you are using to upload.

If you go with the full package, you would overwrite all files except config.php, /files, /images, and /store. After doing the upload, be sure /cache, and the folders I already mentioned are at 777. The file config.php should be 644. Then with your browser, go to http://warcrc.org/phpBB/install/database_update.php and allow the script to complete. Once it does, you can delete the /install directory from your server. Replace your logo, and that's it!

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Installing doesn't reset the permissions....you can change the permissions from your ftp client, which I assumed you used to upload the files, correct?

todd1803

Post by todd1803 »

I think I need to check with my host. When I updated from 2. to 3. I used FrontPage to upload the installation folder. If I attempt to log in using FTP, I can view the index, but it won't allow me to open it with Windows expolrer.

todd1803

Post by todd1803 »

Darcie wrote:After doing the upload, be sure /cache, and the folders I already mentioned are at 777. The file config.php should be 644.

Ok, I downloaded and installed FileZilla, and figured out how to check permissions. Looks like config.php was set to full access (777?). I've now changed it to 644. The Cache folder was set to 777 already. Now to start deleting 200,000 extra cache files..... :shock:

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

You can also delete the whole /cache and upload a new one. ;) You'll just want to be sure that you have an index.htm and .htaccess remaining in the folder. If you ever delete cached files by ftp, be sure to exclude these.

todd1803

Post by todd1803 »

I read that a lot - save the .htaccess and index files. Here is a dumb question (two of them actually) - what happens if you delete them, and how do you get them back?

I haven't found the htaccess file yet, but it should be there, unless the host deleted it when they manually cleaned the file cache a month or so ago.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

You may not see .htaccess if you don't have FileZilla set to show hidden files. If you delete it, you can always upload it from a download of the full package. The index.htm is just an empty file. .htaccess you can also recreate as htaccess.txt, upload it, and then rename it from FileZilla. This is what it should look like:

Code: Select all

<Files *>
	Order Allow,Deny
	Deny from All
</Files>