Sex Education

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
aolTFX

Sex Education

Post by aolTFX »

Hi. I was just wondering how far do you think sex education should go in schools.
Hey, I'm never wrong, I have TFX in my name.

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

'practical labs' would have saved me much teen angst :D
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
'On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero...' - Jack, Fight Club
http://www.thefinn.net

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

[quoted967f="theFinn"]'practical labs' would have saved me much teen angst :D[/quoted967f]

Might explain why it's the most popular option.... would have made little difference for me being in a single sex school. Though my school had close ties with a nearby girls only school... so that was pretty well handled as "extra-curricular". :D

But seriously though.... I think it's be a lot better if kids were allowed to have a clue with regards to such things... as I know I can be overly prude when I know there isn't a need to be.

... and yet another car analogy.... the current sex education method (in the UK) isn't too different to giving a complete novice the highwaycode and automagically granted a licence... then ponder why there are so many accidents.

Plus teens are by their nature... experience junkies.... so don't bother about making them abstain (even if this is probably the safest guard against STDs) but make them do so safetly and responsibly.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

aolTFX

Post by aolTFX »

I probably shouldn't be expressing bias, in this, since I started the poll, but what the heck:

I think that there should be practical labs on it, as I believe that it would eradicate many of the worlds social problem relating to sex, rape, Unwanted Pregnancys and STI's.

There are many teenagers out there who don't know what they are at. When they put on a condom, many of them put it on incorrectly. Put simply protections methods are bound to be more effective if used properly, and it is more likely to be used properly if they are given a comprehensive education in the subject, which I think should include practical labs.

I think that these labs could also help combat problems of rape. Lets take the classic example of male's raping females. I would consider a theory where the male is initially curious, but lacking in confidence, so instead of asking they take. Having raped once a person is also more likely to do it again. Practical labs would remove this initial curiosity from men, therefore making the first(initial) rape less likely.

I think that SHS has explained the thing with great accuracy with his car analogy. This is ridiculas. It is ridiculas to expect teenagers to abstain, from something that they seen on TV every day of the week. We need to wake up and face reality. We need to wake up and face the facts that no matter what we write in leaflets it will not be totally absorbed with out practical labs.

So instead of staying in the stone age, I propose that we introduce these new labs to every school in the country. We need to modernise, and I sincerely believe that tackling the problems such as Rape, sti's and unwanted pregnancys.
Hey, I'm never wrong, I have TFX in my name.

TC

Post by TC »

oh....so this was a [ib25cc]serious[/ib25cc] poll?
2 8 : 0 6 : 4 2 : 1 2

Kim_Lemon

Post by Kim_Lemon »

BEEP
Last edited by Kim_Lemon on Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
For all your Commodore 64 nostalgia
www.lemon64.com
www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=forum

Radio132

Post by Radio132 »

:D

the-unknown

Post by the-unknown »

A pratical lab will be good... but getting participants may be hard.... how about getting something like the device from www.fufme.com or something, and conducting lessons ? :wink:
now what?

RushB

Post by RushB »

How about if the schools teach the fundamentals, and the parents start teaching their kids instead of letting the government do everything for them?

How about if your parents take the time to discuss this with you, so that they can instill their moral values at the same time?

How about if parents start raising their kids instead of letting the government do it? How about if parents start staying home with their kids, and taking a real interest in where the next generation is going?

Why would anyone think that Math, Science, History, Language and Sex go together?

We are becoming entirely too weak. We do what we are told, and expect to be provided for by a government rather than by ourselves.

I can't believe folks actually think this way. Unbelievable.

Later,
RushB

AL

Post by AL »

I think that sex education is something between a parent and their child. At the same time they can instill morals and values. This isn't something we should pawn off on the schools.

I am abhorant to the thought of 'practical labs.' Telling teenagers it's OK to have sex with someone for 'learning' sake? Give me a break. I still find it hard to believe 6th grade girls having babies. What have we come to?

You say it's in the movies and tv. Unfortunately you are correct. Standards are getting more and more lax. Some of the 'bad' words that would get an 'R' rating 10 years ago are used dailyi in normal sitcoms.

We need to wake up and smell the reality. Parents: spend time with your kids, listen to them, talk to them. Kids: obey your parents - contrary to popular belief they HAVE been around the block a time or two. Husbands love your wives. Wives love your husbands.

This isn't brain surgery! It's life! So live it.