What can you say about Flarum?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
b3rx

What can you say about Flarum?

Post by b3rx »

I'm not promoting it or anything, I'm also not trying to start any forum war. I'm just wondering what the others think about the forum platform `flarum`. Check their website for more information: flarum.org.
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Re: What can you say about Flarum?

Post by Elsensee »

Well... I wouldn't consider Flarum a forum software. To me it's a software for creating a platform for online discussions.
It's just too confusing and messy to me.

I like that timeline when scrolling through a topic, though. :)

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

For me, that's the future of forum softwares. A modern and lightweight core, with extensions to add all the features. It's confusing because you try to use it like phpBB, but it uses tags instead of categories. However, you can see that tags aren't too different (see here for example).

Anyway, it's fresh!

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

For me too.. And it's all colorful and stuff. I would be interested on how will phpBB respond. They might not respond at all though.
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Elsensee wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 pm It's just too confusing and messy to me.
+1

Totally.

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

To me it looks like a platform for support sections or such. I don't see that as a forum software such as phpBB3.

KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

I like it, I think it's something different such as Google Groups but with more freedom on what people can add in, change, or how people use "next generation" online communities. It's a hard pick though on what category it really falls under, since I agree it cannot be fully called a forum software but I'm not sure that placing it as a online discussion board is a good pick either.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

b3rx wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:01 amCheck their website for more information: flarum.org
That's a domain only, hence nothing to click at. Nowadays you never know if a site only supports HTTP or only HTTPS, so it's more vital than ever to provide an URI, like http://flarum.org or https://discuss.flarum.org instead of letting every user (or its internet browser) have to find out.

b3rx wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:01 amothers think about
It heavily relies on JS. Without that an annoying "This site is best viewed in a modern browser with JavaScript enabled" is always displayed and reading discussion lists or discussions is available, but without links to users, without seeing how many posts a discussion has, etc... That's a downer for me - you're not able to save single pages that rely on JS (in contrast to those that only add JS afterwards).

The overall idea is interesting: using colors as tags. But that's pretty much it - you still have to manage tags on discussions yourself. Can be quite helpful (most prominent example: http://stackoverflow.com/tags), but it needs enough users to understand what tags are and what they aren't. Does every tag get a random color? More than ~25 colors will make it hard to distinguish them at all, and sooner or later you always find yourself with countless tags. A bulletin board (such as phpBB) could also have tags and then a page where you choose forums or topics by tags. Nothing what a MOD/extension can't do, while still maintaining all the board features it already has.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 amIt heavily relies on JS. Without that an annoying "This site is best viewed in a modern browser with JavaScript enabled" is always displayed and reading discussion lists or discussions is available, but without links to users, without seeing how many posts a discussion has, etc... That's a downer for me - you're not able to save single pages that rely on JS (in contrast to those that only add JS afterwards).
You should try http://gaming.youtube.com

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That has nothing to do with Flarum. But to give you the response you're hoping for: it's just rephrasing the "this website is best viewed with/optimized for" which was bad practice 15 years ago already. Don't know why a website must fail because of either missing JS or unhandled JS exceptions - are numerous visitors lacking flexibility or is the code/website lacking flexibility?