All PHP Frameworks Suck!!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: All PHP Frameworks Suck!!

Post by callumacrae »

Danielx64 wrote:Also some framework are so bloated that you would only use then when you don't have a choice. I fail to understand the use of twig in 3.1 when phpBB 3.0.x theme system is one of the best due to the fact that it light and not bloated.
You can tell a successful theme system by the amount of successful themes.

Number of pretty themes I've seen for phpBB 3.0: 3
Number of pretty themes I've seen for phpBB 3.1: 0

The phpBB templating language (whatever it is) is disgusting and unlike anything I've ever used before. No IDE supports syntax highlighting for it, and debugging is horrific. It's also really ugly.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

callumacrae wrote:
Danielx64 wrote:Also some framework are so bloated that you would only use then when you don't have a choice. I fail to understand the use of twig in 3.1 when phpBB 3.0.x theme system is one of the best due to the fact that it light and not bloated.
You can tell a successful theme system by the amount of successful themes.

Number of pretty themes I've seen for phpBB 3.0: 3
Number of pretty themes I've seen for phpBB 3.1: 0

The phpBB templating language (whatever it is) is disgusting and unlike anything I've ever used before. No IDE supports syntax highlighting for it, and debugging is horrific. It's also really ugly.
Would you agree that it wonderful that php and HTML is not mashed in the same file?

Oh the latest version of phpstorm just added support for writing wordpress plug-in and there not even support for the theme system yet.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Danielx64 wrote:Would you agree that it wonderful that php and HTML is not mashed in the same file?

Oh the latest version of phpstorm just added support for writing wordpress plug-in and there not even support for the theme system yet.
I think compromising usability in the name of semantics is pushing it lol

WordPress is a tad bigger than phpBB :)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

wilkinsocks

Post by wilkinsocks »

I don't think I'd create a PHP app without a framework anymore. PHP has a bunch of design flaws which you've got to take extra care, because PHP won't bat an eyelid in contrast to other languages. I feel that PHP almost encourages people just starting out to write really bad inefficient code but it could be avoided somewhat by using a decent framework.

I like Laravel of recent, it's pretty cool.

I'm personally not a fan of WordPress' API in general. I wouldn't use it as role model for phpbb. yeah WordPress is super popular, but you'll get a bunch of inexperienced devs making plugins that compromise the whole platform to security vulnerabilities because it's api allows it. It's api could be significantly improved for performance and security. They love making a ton of unnecessary database calls.