my exprience: phpBB V.S Vbulletin

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Professional

my exprience: phpBB V.S Vbulletin

Post by Professional »

Hi guys,
I use phpbb for over 4 years.
recently i updated one of my websites from phpbb to VB
now in this topic i want to compare them in some aspects ;)
آگهی استخدام - انجمن تخصصی نسل جدید موبایل ها
My Handwritings: Professional Dreams
Every Thing That U Feel,Is Every Thing That I Feel.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: my exprience: phpBB V.S Vbulletin

Post by DavidIQ »

Loco112 wrote:You know what I found extremely ironic, I was sorting the members profiles on phpbb community yesterday, by number of posts, while looking for a phpbb repairman, and of all the high posting members, at least half of them did not have a phpbb forum linked to their profile.
I don't see how that's confusing at all. From the top 25 posters on phpbb.com, which is just the first page when sorted by post count, 8 don't have a link at all. Of the remaining 17 there are a few forum links and personal sites. Not sure how you can expect users to have just forums listed as their site...
It appeared to me that V-Bulletin forums were linked more than phpBB. That was confusing and disappointing, as I was attempting to look at some of the nicer phpBB forums that the older members had created and I found very few.
I found no such links on our memberlist's top 25 posters. Care to point them out?

The only reason users move away from phpBB is because they're lazy or uneducated and prefer to have a "kitchen sink" type forum that includes their entire site and a bunch of stuff they probably will never use while phpBB takes the approach of "this is forum software" and anything else you would want to add is doable throug MODs, styles, etc. rather than bloating the software up with every feature under the sun. Apparently they also don't care about the high costs of owning such a license either. :roll:

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I don't see how exactly you can come to the conclusion that a forum software is not what you need if it's not being used by people in their profiles. :roll:

Instead of doing this why don't you just try it out and see for yourself?

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Personally, I haven't rewritten my sites yet, so I therefore don't have a phpBB install to link to.

I don't think it is fair to make such a distinction based on the users that have a phpBB install linked in their profile. Instead, try phpBB for yourself and see if it fits your needs. If so, great. But a decision about which software to use shouldn't be based upon how many people link to an installation.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Also perhaps users are using it on a multitude of sites or they just don't update their profile/site often..
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I don't like vB XD

I link to a phpBB forum! I guess I don't have a very high post count though.

~Callum

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

ephemeraboy

Post by ephemeraboy »

Vb is so buggy
every month they release the new vertion
the plus of VB
they included many feature built in
and yah
with VB we no need
ADD AFTER
ADD BEFORE
etc
and IP.Board
God blesses their developer
too heavy
even it is heavier than VB Suite and also too many useless feature
My Idea, My Mind and My Continuation of The Dreams on
http://www.bonatius.com
An Industrial Engineer from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

phpBB all the way! :D ... ive used VB and IPB demos (I'm not about to buy a license, im only 16 anyway, couldnt afford it if i wanted to :P) and personally I like phpBB better, and I can't wait for v3.1 ... I don't link to my site on area51 but look me up on phpbb.com and you'll see a link to my phpBB site :D

Go Open Source!! :D
-Jonah

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

Professional wrote:my exprience: phpBB V.S Vbulletin
phpBB vs. vBulletin

Note that you write the point after the s and not before ;)

@topic: I do prefer phpBB over other forum softwares.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

vBulletin is the absolute worst written piece of * forum software I've EVER seen and to top it off, people are actually PAYING to use it.