phpBB.com is back up again!!! HOORAY!!!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
tompi29

phpBB.com is back up again!!! HOORAY!!!

Post by tompi29 »

Just kidding.

:twisted:

Nicholas the Italian

Re: phpBB.com is back up again!!! HOORAY!!!

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

You just caused the death of at least a dozen people.
Among them, yourself.

isoliert
I've been banned

Post by isoliert »

you really belong to my friends list. Very funny, but changin' a hard disc always takes more then a week. PhpBB are professionals * :P *
I am not psotfx

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Its not the changing that takes time. Its recovering the data that was on it. If you would think for a second then you would have known that
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

tompi29

Post by tompi29 »

oh-no! wrote: I have been in the computer consulting business for 26 years. Changing a hard drive takes less than a couple of hours. If a raid went down, then whoever was managing the server screwed up big time. No excuses! I suspect that whomever was remirroring the drives, picked the wrong drive to remirror.

Since the system has been down for so long, it appears no one was doing full backups. No excuses!

I have been using PHPBB for a number of years, but I only use it because it is free. I have never liked opensource software (including Linux or any type of unix) because invariably many versions of the same software start showing up. The main system was so heavily modded that it wil take a very long time to recreate it. That is what I suspect they are doing now.

This extended downtime confirms to me that this software cannot recover from a raid failure. I think I am going to start looking for something else regardless of cost.

oh oh.. here we go again. Please lock this topic!

isoliert
I've been banned

Post by isoliert »

oh-no! wrote: I have been in the computer consulting business for 26 years. Changing a hard drive takes less than a couple of hours. If a raid went down, then whoever was managing the server screwed up big time. No excuses! I suspect that whomever was remirroring the drives, picked the wrong drive to remirror.

Since the system has been down for so long, it appears no one was doing full backups. No excuses!

I have been using PHPBB for a number of years, but I only use it because it is free. I have never liked opensource software (including Linux or any type of unix) because invariably many versions of the same software start showing up. The main system was so heavily modded that it wil take a very long time to recreate it. That is what I suspect they are doing now.

This extended downtime confirms to me that this software cannot recover from a raid failure. I think I am going to start looking for something else regardless of cost.

So many great facts; I hope my pm - which I couldnT read yet - is not deleted :?
I am not psotfx

Phil

Post by Phil »

It's not that they don't have backups, it's that the server is being rebuilt from scratch...
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

Truestar

Post by Truestar »

Stuff happens. It will be back up this month calm down. :P
[GSF] General of Army Truestar
Galactic Special Forces Gaming Clan

tompi29

Post by tompi29 »

isoliert
I've been banned

Post by isoliert »

absolutely correct
I am not psotfx