GD in the main Phpbb site: Not the best place for newbies?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
kazuki

GD in the main Phpbb site: Not the best place for newbies?

Post by kazuki »

Hi,

First of all, forgive me if this topic doesn't fit to category cause I don't know where to put it.

I would like to point out my observations on the GD on the main PhpBB site regarding incoming newbies and recent members.
It seems that most of them (newbies) post any type of topics (mostly spam) they want without even reading "Sticky" topics. Topics gets locked every now and then.

There was once I even replied to an off-topic post that resorted to backseat moderation something like "Not a support forum Sir". and I was given a warning by a moderator that made me really scared. :( I do understand that you have to post your topics with some thought in the process. :idea:

For the record I believe that there should be a Chit chat or it's equivalent in the PhpBB main forum? (Of course spam isn't always welcome). Do you think there should be a balance between Discussion and a Chat?

Any thoughts?
Area 51, yes, AREA 51] - You know that?!

SHS`

Re: GD in the main Phpbb site: Not the best place for newbie

Post by SHS` »

We'd rather General Discussion on the main forums be kept above "Lowest Common Denominator"... after all, if you really want "General Chat" (and forums powered by phpBB), there are already some 66,000 forums out there already... pick any one of them:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Gener ... Aindex.php" target="_blank
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way