Just an Update

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
A MOD's Enemy

Just an Update

Post by A MOD's Enemy »

We haven't gotten an update from the Dev Team on how phpBB3 is doing since March. Would you be willing to share how you all are doing with phpBB3?

Tullamore

Re: Just an Update

Post by Tullamore »

Look at the changes to the CVS to see how work is progressing.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Tullamore wrote: Look at the changes to the CVS to see how work is progressing.
It doesn't show you much.

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Compared to the one being hosted at area51 and the CVS Snapshots, those two are a bit different. Basically for the fact that this one is a more stable version than the ones found in CVS stuff so, you won't expect the exact same thing you see here than in hte CVS. For any updates, I'm not too sure exactly how progress is going but, none-the-less, an update would be nice by now.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

SamG

Post by SamG »

A MOD's Enemy wrote: We haven't gotten an update from the Dev Team on how phpBB3 is doing since March. Would you be willing to share how you all are doing with phpBB3?
With the release of 2.0.17 it was announced that the 2.0 codebase was going to get a good going over. I don't know this for a fact, but maybe that's still the priority at this point, given that we've had no further word nor any 2.0 releases since then.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Right now we are undergoing an audit of the 2.0.x codebase. While I can't release details, it is currently the main focus.

dagta

Post by dagta »

Instead of spending more time on rebuilding 2.0.x... why not just put that time into phpbb3 and get it out to replace 2.0.x? Sounds like 3 has a bunch more security built in already.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Because a lot of people use the 2.0.x codebase, and will continue to use it for a long time even once Olympus is out. There are still some people using the 1.x codebase.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

RammsteinNicCage

Post by RammsteinNicCage »

I'm wondering, how many of those that are going to stick with 2.0.x after 3.x is released are going to bother upgrading their 2.0.x's whenever there are security exploits? I'm sure there are some, but I wonder if it's enough to really worry about....

Jennifer

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

There's actual, production boards out there, running 2.0.x. All those boards are vulnerable to any security leaks in 2.0.x. IMHO, within reason, existing code maintenance (that is currently in production) should always take precendence over new developments. I worked in a software support organisation for two years, and have been in the situation where the dev team was next to unavailable for support excpet for the really high profile stuff, because they had to work on the new version. Try selling that to customers requiring support.

That's not to say I am not eagerly awaiting some news about Olympus either. But at least is good to know the dev team have their priorities straight.