GoogleBot

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
PigeonHead

GoogleBot

Post by PigeonHead »

There's been an IP on the index of my forum all day! I traced it as being the GoogleBot. But what is it doing? I heard that after you submit your site to google it spends a bit of time searching deeper and deeper into your site, but the entire day - non-stop!

I'm not really bothered. I don't think its attacking me or anything, I just think its a bit strange. Or is it meant to do that?

[SPAM]
Last edited by Draegonis on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Spam removed

ATNO/TW

Re: GoogleBot

Post by ATNO/TW »

The bots do that. Wait until Inktomi and MSN hit your site *lol Let them do their thing if you want good search engine results. They are basically indexing your site, and if you have a fairly new site, it will take them some time because they follow every link. At the moment you should be shouting for joy and cracking open a can of beer and celebrate that they found you.

thedrumchannell

Post by thedrumchannell »

I agree - MSN hits my site like a hammer [60MB this week alone]. I have yet to see Google do a little dance like that for me! I have 8 hits from Google and I want more than that teasing stuff. lol

Brandon
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
Prophecy Talk - World News & Bible Prophecy Information

lightdarkness

Post by lightdarkness »

MSNBot whores my site every day.

About 10 megs DAILY, it's crazy!

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

I've already gotten over 2000 hits from MSNBot this month. About 8 from Google. :P

PigeonHead

Post by PigeonHead »

GoogleBots taken 390.09 MB of my Bandwidth since the beginning of this month!

But, its only been scanning my site for the past 2 days or so.

PigeonHead

Post by PigeonHead »

GoogleBots been here for about 4 days now! And taken up 451.04 MB of my bandwidth this month!

How long does it usually stay? My forums reasonably small.

FF8Jake

Post by FF8Jake »

On my old site(just sold it) I had about 30 googlebots who would stop by every evening and hang around for a few hours. It's awesome, unless you're on a limited bandwidth account. They do eat it up rather fast. :)

whfsdude

Post by whfsdude »

I go through about 80mb a day on just my forums with the MSNBot. Google was eating around 120-140mb/day so I blocked it. Correct me if I am wrong, now we will have control over what forums the bots will be able to visit assuming they don't grab a new ip range.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I believe the bots are identified by their user agents, not IP addresses.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.