nice... but vBull...

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Tomba

nice... but vBull...

Post by Tomba »

hmmm well just wanted to note here something about the upcoming vBulletin that is in beta stage now.. they have now a nice feature called "Related topics" :!:
Maybe an idea for phpBB 2.8 :lol:

I was thinking... everybody is running hot now about this 2.2 series, but wouldn't it have been better to release new features more often, instead of getting a whole bunch of new things ( for which I am very thankful though!!) in a new version where people wait on? I am aware this would bring extra timecosts and stuff, I've seen some project come and go in the IT business, but well... just take it as an idea ;)

ciao

espenhh

Re: nice... but vBull...

Post by espenhh »

[quote="Tomba"]but wouldn't it have been better to release new features more often[/quote]

Have you ever heard about security-holes??? It takes time to make a good and stable release, so if they should release a stable version every time, it would have taken much more time to make a package as good as 2.2 will be...

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

[quote="Tomba"]hmmm well just wanted to note here something about the upcoming vBulletin that is in beta stage now.. they have now a nice feature called "Related topics" :!:
Maybe an idea for phpBB 2.8 :lol:[/quote] I've found that the related topics, well, aren't. I once looked up contests on vbulletin.com, and got topics about PHP and Apache ...

[quote]I was thinking... everybody is running hot now about this 2.2 series, but wouldn't it have been better to release new features more often,[/quote] No, it wouldn't have been better. The devs like to make things stable in phpBB, rather than adding new features every release.

dhn

Post by dhn »

The related topics feature is a good idea but difficult to implent in a way that it is useable. Still, it could easily be done with phpBB 2.2's fulltext searching but I guess a MOD might be the better solution. Not really a feature a lot of users demand.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

dhn wrote:Still, it could easily be done with phpBB 2.2's fulltext searching
I'll believe it when I see the code. PHP's similar text function is slow. That means "write your own function". Yuck.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

dhn

Post by dhn »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I'll believe it when I see the code. PHP's similar text function is slow. That means "write your own function". Yuck.

You could always "outsource" the major workload for this to the Database.

nikhilmng

Post by nikhilmng »

whatevr it be i love php amd all its mods, new features !!!
its really cool.. it takes time for good things to come !! :P