Capture a IP in sign up

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
paragon

Re: Capture a IP in sign up

Post by paragon »

yeah it is hahaha :D

RedShift

Post by RedShift »

rofl yeah... note that hashes are one way ONLY... (Unless you have a pc with the powa of a 1000000000 Ghz processor, to de-hash, and I still think it would take a few decades ;-))
Sending to developers to /dev/null since 28/12/1986

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

RedShift wrote:rofl yeah... note that hashes are one way ONLY... (Unless you have a pc with the powa of a 1000000000 Ghz processor, to de-hash, and I still think it would take a few decades ;-))
A 7-digit number as a password can be dehashed in about 5-10 seconds. Hence why the recommendation is to use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and even symbols. The bigger the search field, the longer it takes. Of course, the potential dehasher could still get lucky and find a valid search string right away. ;)

cgranade

Post by cgranade »

You'll pardon me if I don't exhibit a sexual attrraction to an encryption method.

Spleeman

Post by Spleeman »

To use MD5 you can either use PHP to change a plain text password into text BEFORE it hits the database, or use your sql statement (beware... i've only done this with mysql) to encrypt the plain text password. Either will work. Just look up MD5 on the respective websites.

I prefer to use it in PHP first as it makes my sql statements a little simpler. And in reverse, use PHP to translate the plain text password into and MD5 hash and check it against the database. I suspect this may be where you're going wrong as MD5 is non reversable. I did this too and was getting an MD5 hash of the MD5 hash in my database (if that makes sense). Therefore the password was being seen as wrong.